Possible Sewer Problem?

Old 09-17-10, 06:23 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Possible Sewer Problem?

I just moved into a new home, and when ever someone flushes,showers, or uses any part of the home that uses water theres a weird noise that can be heard through the walls. Sort of sounds like a sucking/draining noise. Also the upstairs bathroom always smells weird no matter how many times it is cleaned. Could it be the sewer is backed up? I don't really know anything about plumbing, so what should i do? thanks

Old 09-18-10, 04:55 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! In all probability you have an occluded vent pipe, since you are hearing the gurgling in the walls. You could have a stopped up drain, but let's tackle the vent first. The vent pipe operates like a soda straw stuck in a drink. Place your finger over the end and withdraw it, and the liquid will remain in the straw until you introduce air at the top by removing your finger. Squirrels and birds deposit sticks acorns, and other things in the pipes and sometimes the air can't get past, causing the soda straw effect.
To rid the pipe of stuff, using a garden hose with the water off is sometimes adequate. HOWEVER, it will require a road trip to the roof, so if you feel uncomfortable climbing on the roof, call a pro. It isn't the fall, but the sudden stop that messes up your day.
Use the garden hose to chug the vent pipes on the roof. The occlusion will usually break up and move on down into the septic/sewer system.
Let us know how things go.

Old 09-18-10, 02:46 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you can smell sewage it sounds like you have a leak in your system, you have to check where you are smelling it and see if the noise is more prominent in that area, smells are extremely hard to find, luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: