Basement Sewer Gas

Old 09-19-10, 08:01 AM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Basement Sewer Gas

Over the last few weeks I have been noticing a smell of sewer gas in my basement. The smell is not constant and comes and goes. I have noticed it more with the air conditioner running less. At first I thought the basement drain that the A/C drains into did not have the trap full. But when I put more water in it I could see it was full. The next evening the smell was present. Now I think the sewage smell seems to be coming from the basement drainage pipe itself. I think the smell is coming from the bottom of the pipe where it branches out. There is no water anywhere indicating a water leak out of the pipe. I dont hear any gurgling in the walls concerning the plumbing vent. What could be the problem here?? Does anyone have any ideas? All the other drains are regularly used keeping the traps full.

Old 09-19-10, 10:53 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What about a washing machine laundry drain standpipe trap?

Do you have any kind of trap up by the ceiling, or hidden by a finished-off ceiling, to catch say furnace condensate or water softener system discharge? Can you clearly see all the joists, so you know what you have up there?

Have you sniffed right at any cleanout covers in the basement?

Do you have a toilet, sink or shower in the basement?

Can you smell it at the top landing to the basement if you get on knees and smell right at floor level up there?

Old 09-19-10, 07:00 PM
D
I dont smell it at the top of the basement too much although tonight it has smelled up my upstairs. The washing machine tub should be OK because I do laundry 3 times a week and the trap gets full from that. I am very devastated it smells really bad tonight. I know about the traps and cannot figure this out on my own. The smell comes and goes. I'm bombed out on this and know I'm going to get ripped off by these plumbers.

Old 09-20-10, 06:34 AM
D
Now I think maybe the smell is perminating up through the concrete. That's why I dont see a water leak. I am planning to get rotorooter or someone to look at it. I hope I dont get too riped off -- or in this country is that possible?

Old 09-20-10, 01:45 PM
Sewer Smell

I don't think that RotoRooter is the one to use, you need someone that can do a smoke or a pepermint test on your system. :NO NO NO:

Old 09-21-10, 07:50 AM
D
Well I did call a plumbing firm recommended by a friend of mine but not Rotorooter - they are pretty expensive unless there is an emergency. I will discuss the smoke test. This whole thing is a real mystery.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: