Low Pressure To Outdoor Spigot

Old 09-19-10, 07:43 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Low Pressure To Outdoor Spigot

Hello,

I have public water service for inside and out. No problems with indoor water pressure, but outdoor has periodically dropped at both spigots recently. No leaks in basement. What should I be looking for?

Thanks!

Old 09-19-10, 01:15 PM
Do the spigots have one line that feeds both with a shut off valve on it?, if so thats where I would look for the problem, like a defective washer; if not I would look at the individual spigots (though rare) they both could have a bad washer.

Old 09-19-10, 02:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I have to go fix one tomorrow with the same symptoms, and what Shacko said is exactly what I suspect, so I'll go armed with a new washer and screw if needed. Sometimes the washer will become unattached and lodge itself in the opening and sticking to the orifice, preventing full flow.

Old 09-19-10, 06:01 PM
C
Thanks for answering my post. There is one main line that feeds the spigots and the irrigation system. A separate line feeds the indoor plumbing. Maybe this is why there are no issues with indoor pressure.

What is the best way to go about examining this issue? If I call a plumber how much should I expect to pay?

Thanks!

Old 09-19-10, 06:25 PM
A) turn off the water to the house or isolate the spigots and remove the stem by loosening the collar nut to see what is happening at the washer end of the stem.
B) Too much.

Old 09-19-10, 06:43 PM
C
Since both spigots have reduced flow wouldn't it be more likely that the issue is further back from them -- such as the valve shut off area of the main line? Or maybe that is what you are referring to? Sorry, I have zero plumbing knowledge.

Old 09-19-10, 07:12 PM
Logically, yes. Practically, no. What is between the main line and the spigots? A valve? What type valve? Ball valve, it is open and non restrictive. Next in line would be the washer in the spigots. That's it. Remember those rubber gaskets have been sitting against the seat all winter, and most of the summer and could degrade and stick to the seat, pulling loose from the stem. Check one, then we'll see what is next.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: