Another Insinkerator Question

Old 09-27-10, 05:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another Insinkerator Question

1/3HP Insinkerator model 175.60102. Turn it on and all it does is hum, so I guess its getting power. Pushing the reset button does nothing (its not even popped out). I tried to turn it with the allen wrench and it wont even budge, in either direction. No foreign objects visible in it and no one admits to sticking a pry bar in it while it was running. I tried turning it from the top with a piece of wood, no go.

Hadnt noticed any performance issues recently, but dont use it often. It is hard wired into the circuit. This may be a red herring but there is a GFI is on the same circuit and I noticed it had been tripped a few days ago, dont know if anyone tried to use the unit since then. Other outlets on that circuit work. When the drain was slow to empty, I would turn it on for a couple of seconds and it would drain. I cant do that now and it takes a long time to drain (but thats probably another issue). Also probably useless, but when I was under the sink I noticed a very slow leak (a few drops a day) coming from where the romex leaves the unit going to the circuit.

I searched for insinkerstor, 5 pages came back, none with this particular problem.

Old 09-27-10, 06:08 PM
F
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
If you can't turn it with the Allen wrench then it is definitely stuck. Unless it is almost new AND a higher-end model it is probably toast. I had one that I rarely used and I finally decided to get rid of it. When I took it off it almost fell apart in my hands.

Old 09-28-10, 04:34 AM
I gently tapped the allen wrench with a hammer and now it turns freely in both directions. The moment I hit the switch, it starts turning and then the GFI breaker trips. Isnt that what GFI is supposed to do when something in the circuit gets wet? - the water drops I noticed dripping from the bottom of the unit. On closer inspection, there is water evident at several points on the bottom. I can see rust on the inside through the hole for the romex, so it must have been going on for some time. It doesnt look like it was meant to be taken apart, at least not from the outside. Is it still a goner or can I save it?

Old 09-28-10, 04:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts
let it rust in pieces and get a new one

Old 09-28-10, 12:38 PM
Originally Posted by pugsl View Post
let it rust in pieces and get a new one
Normally, thats what I would do without thinking about it. But because of some recent medical expenses, things are tighter than the bark on a tree. I need to at least try to get this one on life support.

I killed the circuit at the breaker box and removed the access cover. It was pretty goopy in there. I cleaned it up and removed the wire nuts on the hot and neutral connections. I removed the ground wire from the screw and sprayed a little WD-40 on the screw. I let the wires dry of any residual moisture and removed any deposits on the wires with some steel wool. Reconnected the ground wire and used other wire nuts on the hot and neutral connections. I left it all outside the housing to test it. When I turn it on, it runs 1/2 a second longer than before and then trips the GFI. All the connections are dry, what could be tripping the GFI? During the short time it does run, it doesnt sound any different than before the problem. I can get a new one on Ebay for $50 but thats a credit card payment.

Old 09-28-10, 11:46 PM
F
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
If you don't use it them get rid of it. Ten bucks for a fairly decent basket strainer and another ten bucks (or less) for the PVC piping necessary is half the price of your e-Bay special. A decent garbage grinder will be all stainless steel and cost upwards of $150.

Old 09-29-10, 02:57 AM
Yeah but if it was something simple to get it running, it would be a fraction of the work and cost next to nothing. And I'd have the satisfaction of doing it. With a little determination, a couple simple tools and some useful advice, I'd be done.

Brand new/sealed in the box InSinkErator Badger 1 - $45

Old 09-29-10, 03:37 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 357 Likes on 319 Posts
The motors on those devices are cheaply made. They work great for 3-8 years and then seize up and fry.

I'm not a motor expert by a long shot, but I don't think it's electrically related. The motor bearings may be shot, or it is possible that the motor is leaking current, either may be tripping the GFI.

I've never taken one apart before... good luck!

Old 09-29-10, 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by Zorfdt View Post
The motors on those devices are cheaply made. They work great for 3-8 years and then seize up and fry.

I'm not a motor expert by a long shot, but I don't think it's electrically related. The motor bearings may be shot, or it is possible that the motor is leaking current, either may be tripping the GFI.

I've never taken one apart before... good luck!
OK, thats high enough on the plausibility scale so I can let myself off the hook. Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: