Slow drip at main water shut off valve

Old 09-27-10, 06:25 PM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Slow drip at main water shut off valve

I turned off the water to the house at the main shut off valve while I was fixing a faucet problem. When I turned the main water shut off back on a slow drip is now occurring right at the knob. The drip is slowing stopping though. At first it was like every 8 seconds then 20 seconds, then 38 seconds and now 48 seconds. Is this common? Will it slowly stop or is there a bigger problem forthcoming? Any ideas as to what I should do about this? I'm guessing I should have it checked just because it is now slowly dripping but was curious if this is common or a sign of a bigger problem. Thank you!

Old 09-27-10, 06:33 PM
F
Received 37 Upvotes on 29 Posts
Using an adjustable wrench place it on the hexagon part (packing nut) directly below the handwheel and turn in a clockwise direction (while facing the handwheel) about an eighth of a turn. If it still leaks tighten some more in small increments. Post back with the results.

Old 09-27-10, 07:32 PM
V
Smile Thanks!

Thank you so much! I gave it just a little clockwise turn as you suggested and it looks like that did the trick. Is this a common problem do you know? Should I still have a plumber or the water company come out and have a look to be safe? Just curious. Thank you again so much!

Old 09-27-10, 07:46 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
It is common and furd steered you right. No need to call anyone as you fixed it. It is a good idea to turn the valve off and on a couple of times a year.

Old 09-27-10, 07:52 PM
V
Smile Thank you too!

Thank you both for following up on my questions. You both have been most helpful! I really appreciate it!

I previously had been picturing coming home to my basement flooded. You've eased my mind!

Thank you again!
Greg

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: