Re-routing plumbing to Kitchen, can it be done?

Old 09-27-10, 09:06 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Re-routing plumbing to Kitchen, can it be done?

I have been saving up to do my kitchen and the first thing to do is open it up. The kitchen is separated from the great room by a huge wall that just has no business being there. My neighbor did hers and after discussing it with her she said that main issue they ran into was the plumbing. The issue is the plumbing is routed through the top of the wall that needs to come down. She said they ended up having to have people come in, jack hammer the slab, run new piping through it and then re-pour, etc etc which totaled out to about 10K after all said and done. Unfortunately 10k is out of the question for a simple wall to come down. My options are to open up the wall but leave the top area where the pipes run and basically just make a large window that goes into the kitchen and install and island type countertop with cabinets on the kitchen side and stools/chairs on the Great room side or open up the whole thing and get the plumbing re-routed somehow.

Here is the wall that needs to come down or be opened up. The wall that is extending from the top of the pic down the left side is where the plumbing come into the kitchen and they follow the wall around along the red painted part.

Same pic but different angle, above the walk way to the right is where the plumbing comes down.

Here it is from the kitchen side, can the plumbing be re-routed along the wall straight ahead over to the exterior wall that the sink/countertops run along? Seems like it wouldn't be to costly to have done rather than having to jack hammer everything up.

over to the exterior wall...

over to the sink area

Sorry for the long post but I hope what I mean is clear. Thanks

Old 09-28-10, 07:18 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Is there a drain for a second floor bathroom in that wall? What about the air conditioning duct? What are you going to do with that?

Old 09-28-10, 10:30 AM
F
There is a drain for the master bathroom in that wall. The whole wall isn't coming down just the area where the red paint on top is. The wall that is running from the floor all the way to the ceiling is staying, just the divider between the kitchen and great room is what I want done. The AC ducting will be done so the vent will be mounted to the wall that was left. Thats how it was as the neighbors house after they did it.

Old 09-28-10, 01:27 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Those were the only 2 issues that I saw as a potential problem. If no one sees anything else, then it should work.

Old 09-29-10, 03:56 PM
F
is there any type of code that needs to be followed? I plan on getting a few plumbers out here for some estimates to see where I stand before I rip down all the sheet rock so I am trying to know whatever I can going into this.

Thanks again

Old 09-29-10, 04:08 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,182 Upvotes on 1,140 Posts
Local plumbers should be up on local code, ask them and compare their answers along with their bids

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: