Will silicone caulk harm a rubber gasket?

Old 10-04-10, 05:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Will silicone caulk harm a rubber gasket?

Have a ABS drain in a fiberglass shower stall, AB&A drain kit, installed by 'builder' about 10 years ago.
There is a plastic free floating piece that fits above a rubber gasket/seal. The plastic piece looks like at one time it was caulked in place but the caulk is deteriorated (if that is what it was, it was kind of nasty) the rubber seal is good but is sitting a bit crooked, which is probably why the contractor caulked it in. The only way to take the drain out is tear the whole shower out - don't want to go there now....

Will silicone harm that rubber seal?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-10, 07:10 PM
Upvotes: 0
silicone...

Silicone should not harm a rubber gasket, as many manufacturers are specifying silicone caulking instead of plumbers putty between the shower drain and the shower base. Only a rubber gasket should be needed on the bottom side of the shower between the shower and drain. Unless the shower drain is removed and re-installed correctly, you can expect more leakage problems in the future.

Old 10-04-10, 07:43 PM
Originally Posted by plumbingods View Post
Unless the shower drain is removed and re-installed correctly, you can expect more leakage problems in the future.
Thanks for the reply, it's not leaking that I know of - I just took the grate off to clean under and noticed this 'free' floating ring was turning, pulled it up to see what the deal was.

Old 10-04-10, 08:41 PM
OK, I understand better now what part we are talking about. The ring you are referring to is used to compress the rubber ring you saw in the drain. It does not take much pressure to stop any leakage because the rubber is usually a tight fit already. There should be threads on the ouside of the ring and a couple notches in the top of the ring to use some type of tools to tighten it. There is never any water pressure on this fitting so it will leak less than if it were a tub full of water, but it can still leak. Because most shower bases flex a little, caulking may or may not help you out in this situation. You should try to fix the ring by screwing it into the drain. You may need to push the rubber down with a scredriver but check it out carefully.... Good luck

Old 10-04-10, 10:53 PM
Mark,
The ring doesn't have any threads on it, it just sits ontop of the rubber gasket. If it was threaded it would make sense to me but it just sits there. Not sure of it's function.

Here is a pic from the manu. website catalog, http://www.abainc.net/wp-content/upl...ages-41-50.pdf
mine is one of the three on the right side of the page (second page or #42)
#3200 shows the 'floating ring' along with the rubber gasket

Thanks
Jeff

Old 10-05-10, 02:49 AM
Hi again Jeff,
A picture is worth... yada, yada, yada. You Know...lol

OK, After researching that SURE-FIT NO CAULK style drain connection, one of which I have never used, I found the installation instruction and it says the upper ring DOES just float on top of the rubber gasket. Sounds kinda dumb to me, but I don't engineer them, just install the plumbing...lol

http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/attachm...1&d=1222358917

Old 10-05-10, 11:58 AM
Hey thanks for the help, I'm going to bookmark that askmehelpdesk.com site - looks pretty helpful! Yea, I'm not a plumber but think that is an odd design for the drain.

I'm still not sure if the goo under the ring was old caulk or maybe putty, out here in the Phoenix area 10 years ago there was a housing boom and the contractors cranked them out - using caulk by the gallon to cover up gaafs. That rubber gasket is sitting a bit crooked which means it isn't seated properly looking at that diagram. I do not believe there is a leak so at this point all I want to do is put it back together, I'm leaning toward putting some silicone under that ring just to be sure. GE has some new 10 year no mold silicone that would good for this application.

Thanks again.