Vessel Sink Problem

Old 10-22-10, 11:38 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vessel Sink Problem

My wife bought a ceramic vessel sink from some pottery shop on one of our trips. The opening is just slightly too small for the threaded portion of the 1-1/4" popup drain I bought. Are there custom (or maybe metric) sizes? A regular 1-1/4 drain I got does fit, but it is for a sink with an overflow so doesn't drain very well.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-10, 03:36 PM
>>> A regular 1-1/4 drain I got does fit, but it is for a sink with an overflow so doesn't drain very well.<<<

I can't get the gist of what you are saying, a 1 1/4in drain is the same size reguardless of what is's for.

If you have a vessel sink without an overflow you have to buy the drain without one.

Pop-Up Drain for Vessel Sinks

This link will show you some of them, keep in mind that vessel sinks NEVER drain very well without the overflow.

Old 10-23-10, 06:36 AM
The tailpiece may be the same size, but the threaded portion that goes through the sink is not. The popup drain I bought (and yes, it's without overflow) has much coarser threads than the fixed drain (if that's the correct term). The fixed drain fits; the popup won't go through the hole in the sink.

Old 10-23-10, 04:44 PM
I'm getting confused, you original post said:

>>>1-1/4 drain I got does fit, but it is for a sink with an overflow so doesn't drain very well.<<<

Your next post says:

>>>The popup drain I bought (and yes, it's without overflow)<<<

It looks like you have it both ways, anyway you can post a pic so I can see what you are trying to do?

Old 10-25-10, 07:13 AM
Sorry for the confusion - I'm not too familiar with the "right" terminology for plumbing stuff.

The drain that is currently in place is a grid drain. No stopper, no popup, no overflow, no nothing. It drains very slowly. Someone explained to me that this is because of the surface tension of the water and the small holes in the grid. So I bought a popup drain (also without overflow) but its threads are coarser and it doesn't fit through the hole in the bottom of the sink. I'm trying to find one that will.

Old 10-25-10, 02:18 PM
>>>The drain that is currently in place is a grid drain. No stopper, no popup, no overflow, no nothing. It drains very slowly. Someone explained to me that this is because of the surface tension of the water and the small holes in the grid. So I bought a popup drain (also without overflow) but its threads are coarser and it doesn't fit through the hole in the bottom of the sink. I'm trying to find one that will.<<<

I warned you that vessel sinks are known for not draining very well.

It's true that the surface tension will cause your prob. but the lack of an overflow exacerbates it.

The part of the drain that goes down thru the sink SHOULD be close to standard; it's possible that the sink that you bought is just a hair out, if thats true I don't have a clue what to recommend, sorry.

Old 10-25-10, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Heck...whats it made out of? The drain seals on the top and prob the bottom...if you don't damage those surfaces you could probably grind it out a little.

Die grinder, Dremel with appropriate bit?

Old 10-26-10, 07:53 AM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
Heck...whats it made out of? The drain seals on the top and prob the bottom...if you don't damage those surfaces you could probably grind it out a little.

Die grinder, Dremel with appropriate bit?
I actually thought of that. But the sink is a one-of-a-kind ceramic piece made by some North Carolina potter and my wife would disown me if I broke it LOL.