Shower pan leak?

Old 12-15-00, 06:01 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi.. Wonder if someone can help. I think we've got a leaky shower pan. It's damaged the base of the wall where the shower head is located - wet all along the base of the wall and the baseboard's a mildewed crumbled mess.

I know if we need to replace the shower pan, it means tearing up shower. Tnis is definately a professional job - I'm not nearly THAT handy! Would it be possible/economical to just add in a tub at this time? It's a 15 yr old house -and a standup shower with a sliding shower door. It seems that would be easier than replacing all that tile - which won't match anyway.

Oh - by the way - it's Friday night.. and my odds of getting a plumber Christmas week are......... :P

Any thoughts???

Thanks in advance!!

Robin

Old 12-15-00, 06:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

If your shower opening is wide enough, this sounds like a good time to replumb a fiberglas shower/tub unit (or a fiberglas shower unit, if not large enough for a tub) in there.
Just because it is near the Holidays, don't hesitiate to call plumbing contractors to bid on the job. They may want the business, and can get to it sooner than you think.
Good Luck!

Old 12-16-00, 11:00 AM
J
Hi Robin,

I can't let Old Guy get away with advocating the removal of something that's held up 45 years and replacing it with something that doesn't stand a chance of enduring that long. I must stick up for the tile trade.

If you do not want to replace the shower pan (which is what I would do), then how about a good cast iron tub with a ceramic tile shower surround above it?

There is also a logistics problem with a plastic unit. It won't fit through the door. You could use one that comes in pieces, but then you have caulk joints in the corners and around the base. Tacky, tacky.

Regards,

John

http://www.johnbridge.com

Old 12-16-00, 01:54 PM
Cool

I should have known that John would ding me on THAT one.
(However, he's recently admitted that he is "older" than I am, and I kinda thought it might just zip right by him during one of those "senior moments".) LOL

Seriously, Robin. He's right, of course. Ceramic tile looks better, lasts longer, etc., and retrofit fiberglas units can be a pain (fitting through the door in pieces, looks, leaking, etc.) Your call.

There, John. (Maybe Robin lives in Houston.) I won't recommend fiberglas again, as long as you don't recommend real estate FSBO's in coastal Northeastern NC. LOL.

Old 12-16-00, 03:29 PM
J
Boy, Mike, now you've gone and done it. Let everybody in the world know I'm older than "Old Guy." That's kinda like being older than dirt, isn't it? Well, it's only a year. It's close enough I figure I can call it even. :-)

Real estate what?

Old 12-16-00, 04:36 PM
Cool

WELL! So what if I'm older than dirt. LOL
FSBOs, called "fizzbo's" in the real estate biz, are as is in "For Sale By Owner". LOL

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: