Installing Gas Pipe under a slab

Old 11-04-10, 03:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing Gas Pipe under a slab

I have an old kitchen addition that is on a slab. The rest of the house is built with a basement. I have to cut a four foot long channel in the slab so as to run a gas pipe to the stove. Since the walls on either side of the kitchen are exposed brick, there is no way to run the gas line through the walls. My 1"gas pipe(black pipe)is in the basement and runs right up to slab.

So I've cut out this trench (the slab is only 2.5 " thick) and I was going to attach a shutoff valve and continue black-pipe all the way to the stove. My question is do I have to fill the bottom of the channel with cement, to prevent possible rusting of the black pipe? The soil underneath the slab is bone dry. Also, I was thinking about attaching a length of flex pipe (CSST) instead of putting all the little sections of black pipe together, but I've never used it before. Is there anything I should look out for?
Thanks
Scott

Old 11-04-10, 03:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I doubt your installation will pass the muster. Iron pipe, even black pipe isn't happy when buried, and worse when buried in concrete. Not sure why you can't bore a hole in brick. We do it all the time. I would rather see the pipe exposed to the outside elements and be replaceable than to have it run in concrete where it can fail at any time. Sure wish you had posted before you dug that floor up. Check with your local code people to see if it is compliant. You may have to have the gas company come in and run the line to make it safe.

Old 11-04-10, 04:27 PM
I think you should check your local regs., a lot of areas require under floor or slab gas lines to be sealed in a sleeve and the sleeve vented.

Old 11-04-10, 08:21 PM
As usual, I'm not giving enough info. I was not going to bury the pipe, the plan was to keep the trench intact with a cover. The trench will be under a kitchen cabinet and 1/2 of the stove. Although from what you guys are implying, that doesn't seem to cut the mustard either. Also, the reason I can't go through the brick wall is that it is a common wall with the neighbor, I don't think he would like my gas pipe in his den......Although, he might.

Thanks for the info guys, I might have to rethink this

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: