Black pipe that will touch the ground

Old 11-10-10, 10:14 AM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black pipe that will touch the ground

I am running some black pipe for natural gas around the outside of my house. There is a point where I need to go behind my deck and the black pipe will lay on top of the ground. All the rest of the installation will be using standoffs holding the pipe approx 6 inches above ground.
I can't move my deck and there is no way to run it along the along the siding off the ground. There will be about a 25 foot section that I must lay directly on the soil. Should I protect the black pipe with something or use another type of pipe for that 25 foot section.

Thanks
Dan

Old 11-10-10, 02:33 PM
I don't think that there is any jurisdiction that will allow you to do that, I would check with the local authority to confirm.

Old 11-10-10, 06:01 PM
D
Do you mean having black pipe touch the ground?

Old 11-11-10, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by deekal View Post
Do you mean having black pipe touch the ground?
Yes, you probably can put it under the ground, but there are regs. for that also, you still have to check with the local jurisdition.

Old 11-13-10, 09:35 AM
D
Thanks, I have decided that where it runs along the ground under the deck, not under ground, I will run it thru pvc pipe and seal both ends of the pvc with something, not what yet.

Old 11-13-10, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by deekal View Post
Thanks, I have decided that where it runs along the ground under the deck, not under ground, I will run it thru pvc pipe and seal both ends of the pvc with something, not what yet.
I don't want to keep carping on the subject but, you may be getting yourself into a bad situation where if there's a problem your insurance won't cover it; a lot of areas require any gas pipe in a sleeve to be vented to the atmosphere, I still think you should check your local regs., your call.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: