What type of shutoff valve is best?

Old 11-12-10, 03:51 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What type of shutoff valve is best?

A couple of questions:

1) I am about to install a water softener and I am going to install a bypass system. What type of shutoff valves do you prefer? I have had bad experiences with all types, but wondered if one was better (i.e. works the best and longest).

2) I have a whole house shutoff valve (globe or saddle) that no longer works. It's soldered in and is in a tight spot. How feasible is it to replace the insides? It's about 20 years old - have they changed much over the years?

Old 11-12-10, 04:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Without a doubt a solid brass ball valve. PVC and cpvc ball valves are worthless. You can change the globe valve washer, but if it is in a tight space, abandon it, leave it in the full "on" position, and install a ball valve downline in a more convenient place.

Old 11-12-10, 07:32 PM
N
I prefer brass ball valves too, but I have had a number of them seize or have the handle snap off lately - and they're not that old. However, I'll go with the ball valves anyway.

My whole house shutoff valve just spins, so I don't know if it's all the way open or not. I'll take the guts out and cap it.

Thanks.

Old 11-13-10, 06:20 AM
W
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Over the years I have replaced all the valves in my house with brass ball valves. I think I probably have at least a dozen and I've never had a problem.

I recently put in a 3/4" Sharkbite ball valve as the main house cutoff. It took about 5 minutes to install. A little pricier than a sweat in valve, but the time saved was worth it.

Old 11-13-10, 06:34 AM
N
Did you remove the old main shutoff valve or keep it in place? I'm just curious as there's no easy way to remove my old valve or put a new in in it's place.

Old 11-13-10, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by NW_Buckeye View Post
I prefer brass ball valves too, but I have had a number of them seize or have the handle snap off lately - and they're not that old. However, I'll go with the ball valves anyway.

My whole house shutoff valve just spins, so I don't know if it's all the way open or not. I'll take the guts out and cap it.

Thanks.
You can't buy the cheap chinese ball valves and not expect something to go wrong; buy the better American made and I don't think you will have the handle snap off.

Sound like you may have a gate valve on your main and the handle shaft has stripped out, take it apart and throw the internals away, and leave it in place, same thing if you have a globe valve; saddle valves are installed on the OUTSIDE of the pipe.

Old 11-18-10, 09:52 PM
Stick with ball valves such as

Hammonds

Nibco

Watts

Apollo

I am constantly removing B&K Mueller ball valves not even 3-7 years old because of the thin sockets and water making its way through the castings of that valve.

I like a lot of B&K Mueller products, but I won't install anything that has a short life where my customer base as a plumber is spending twice in a short period of time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: