How do you remove and replace old galvanized home water pipes?

Old 11-13-10, 06:28 PM
K
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you remove and replace old galvanized home water pipes?

I'm looking to purchase a house with galvanized water pipes. I might replace them myself. I'm familiar with sweating but lost with getting to the pipes. Is there an easy way to find the pipes in a 2 story house? Once found, how do I get them out and slide the new ones in? I am picturing a lot of holes in the dry wall. I can sawzall or grind the galv pipes but what do the pros do? Leave them in there?

Old 11-13-10, 07:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Sometimes the pipes are left in the walls, since most often they are fastened to the studs and would be very difficult to remove without cutting entire rooms of sheetrock up to access them. That is not to say you won't have some holes to cut in the sheetrock to guide and fasten the new pipe. Does California require you to use copper, or can you use cpvc? Reason I ask , it is much easier to use.

Old 11-13-10, 07:29 PM
K
thanks chandler,

I just did a quick google of cpvc and see that contractors complain of repairs. It appears to be legal though. Pex on the other hand is apparently illegal pending the courts. I figure if the walls are opened, I may as well use something that won't leak for a while. I want the value to increase. I'm not sure a future buyer would desire cpvc too much.

Old 11-14-10, 05:13 AM
Kevin,
Uponor makes a cross-linked pex that is legal in Cal. It's easy to install lead free and you can use a manifold and run 1/2 lines to each fixture with the bennifit of having a shut off for each line on the Manifold.

Old 11-14-10, 05:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Not sure what "repairs" they are referring to, BUT, if a repair is to be made, I'd rather make it on cpvc (5 min) than have to sweat copper (1/2 hour). I have never had problems with repairs of correctly installed cpvc nor pex. If you open the walls, then copper would be a viable alternative.

Old 11-14-10, 10:14 AM
K
Originally Posted by 2ndprimetime View Post
Kevin,
Uponor makes a cross-linked pex that is legal in Cal. It's easy to install lead free and you can use a manifold and run 1/2 lines to each fixture with the bennifit of having a shut off for each line on the Manifold.
Thanks, I will definitely look into that. Is the plastic taste an issue with pex?

Old 11-14-10, 10:21 AM
K
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Not sure what "repairs" they are referring to, BUT, if a repair is to be made, I'd rather make it on cpvc (5 min) than have to sweat copper (1/2 hour). I have never had problems with repairs of correctly installed cpvc nor pex. If you open the walls, then copper would be a viable alternative.
I briefly read in a plumbing forum that cpvc joints are more likely to fail than copper. I just don't want to have to reopen a wall for a repair in the next 10 years assuming I am still there. I may be a newb with this, but not with plumbing. I have done irrigation work for years and some copper/ galvanized work too. So when you say "if you open the walls", I assumed you had to do that anyway.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: