bathroom vent pipe question?

Old 11-13-10, 07:57 PM
G
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bathroom vent pipe question?

I am wondering if anyone can tell me why this pipe is spliced together the way it is? because of the way the joints are and because its cast iron it does not sit far enough in the wall for the sheetrock to cover the wall without cutting a hole where the joints are... This is how it has been prior to demo and I would like to change it if its not too much trouble. Any thoughts and suggestions?

Thanks!

Old 11-14-10, 04:58 AM
Greg,
Back in the day we packed cast-iron joints with oakum and poured molten lead over the oakum along the top 1 in. of the bell-and-spigot and in a 2x4 wall the spigot would stick out.
You can cut the cast iron above the floor use a no-hub band and convert it to pvc it looks like you have a 11/2 arm for a sink at the bottom of the picture change that also, you can change it to 2" or leave it the size it is now. If you take the cast iron out all the way thru the roof make sure the roof boot seals tight if not you will need to change that also. Be careful Cast iron is heavy so take it out in sections starting at the top and work down. If you want to leave the cast iron above the top plate just use a no-hub to tie the pvc back into it, be sure if you do it this way you tie off the cast iron so it does not drop and check the roof boot for seal around the pipe.

Old 11-14-10, 06:01 AM
G
Awesome. Thanks for the advice. What size pvc will i be needing to replace the cast iron going to th roof? 2"?

Thanks

Old 11-14-10, 07:52 AM
W
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How much interference are you getting from the cast iron? Would it be easier to just bring the wall out a bit?

Old 11-14-10, 07:59 AM
G
not that much really. about 1/2"

I just figured that since it was something I could deal with while the wall was bare to bring it more up to date. Also, it looks like at some point it may have leaked somewhere because of the interior wall residue.

The roof is only about 1' away from the top of the vent in the photo so it wouldn't be that hard I assume.

Old 11-14-10, 10:41 AM
W
You could make up the 1/2" easily by either shimming the studs or if it's a small wall double up the drywall. Just leave a space for the pipes on the inside layer.

Old 11-14-10, 12:31 PM
Just my opinion, but I would redo it..from the floor up and out..especially since you mentioned that it may have leaked at some time, based on residue on the wall.
That 'leak'/staining on the wall looks like it starts at/near the top plate..or maybe higher.
..another good reason to change it all out..

Old 11-14-10, 12:44 PM
G
Yes. I will probably opt for just to double up on the drywall. Its only a small wall and would be a lot less work. Thanks for all the good advice.

Old 11-14-10, 02:24 PM
>>> Also, it looks like at some point it may have leaked somewhere because of the interior wall residue.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: