Bathroom in basement

Old 11-16-10, 02:54 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bathroom in basement

New here so please be gentle!

Thinking about a bathroom for the basement (unfinished at this time) but have a few questions.

I have an ejector pit that the furnace/ac drains into (from a floor drain) and also the washer (im assuming since its down there) I wanted to run the toilet, sink, shower drains into this ejector pit. I should replace the pump thats in there with something to handle the waste water?

Can I do this? Can I tie into the ejector vent as well? Do I need to worry about the washer drain? Im assuming (havent checked yet because the previous owner built a wall covering the plumbing) the washer drain is trapped?

I know I need to bust up the concrete to run the PVC. The location would put the bathroom maybe 10ft from the pit

House is 6 years old located north of Chicago (mchenry co)

Thanks for your help!
Gary

Old 11-16-10, 03:41 PM
>>>I have an ejector pit that the furnace/ac drains into (from a floor drain) and also the washer (im assuming since its down there) I wanted to run the toilet, sink, shower drains into this ejector pit. I should replace the pump thats in there with something to handle the waste water?

Old 11-16-10, 04:37 PM
G
yup its an ejector pit (sealed) sump is on the other side of the basement.

so no issues venting into it?

Old 11-17-10, 04:10 PM
You do have some questionable hook-ups on that pit, your discharge line has to be a minimum of 2in, what you have is 1-1/2, you may need to get a new pump, an ejector pump must discharge a 1-1/2 solid ball to be legal, it dosen't look like there is a check valve on the discharge line, a no-no.

A lot of jurisdictions will allow you to vent into the sump vent. Don't forget that any vent comming off you fixtures of your new bath will have to be a minimum of 42in above the floor before you can run them horizontal, now all you have to do is start digging.

Old 11-18-10, 08:55 AM
G
Its 1.5" out of the pit, into 2" that runs into the main discharge.

I figured I would need a new pump, so Ill change the pipes and add the 2" check valve.

Thanks for your help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: