How to clean a hot water heater coil?

Old 12-18-00, 12:09 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Our well is high in calcium and we do not use a softener.

Our hot water heater coil (located inside the oil burner) get coated and the hot water flow gradually diminishes to a trickle. I estimate that the restriction is so great that the flow is cut by more than 60%.

I un-clogged it by putting CLR into the filter and then flowing the water through the heater. It sort of works but I don't feel that the coil is thoroughly cleaned judging by the flow and by the fact that the period between cleans keeps getting shorter.

I know that a softener would help but I am looking for a more efficient and safe way of cleaning that hidden coil first.

Old 12-19-00, 05:32 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

I'm not a plumber, but if it were me, and the coil was that clogged up, I'd either replace it or take it somewhere like a radiator shop and get it cleaned out.
Don't know what to tell you about cleaning it out yourself, but I know that a water softener (had one for 25 years) would help you.
Good Luck!

Old 12-19-00, 06:44 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for answer. I should have specified that the coil is INSIDE the oil burner and I can't figure out how to take it out, or even if it is meant to be taken out. I don't want to mess with system too much since the entire house is heated using the same oil burner.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: