Is bending copper pipe 90 degrees rather than use a 90 dgeree coupler ok?

Old 11-26-10, 12:03 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is bending copper pipe 90 degrees rather than use a 90 dgeree coupler ok?

We have having major renovations done and I noticed at one place rather than use a 90 degree coupler they bend the copper pipe 90 degrees. My uncle had specifically warned me to make sure they don't bend pipes as they can end up rupturing (and this bend they made will end up being inside a wall).

Should I ask them to redo it with a 90 degree coupler or is it safe to leave a copper pipe bent 90 degrees?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-10, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
No Expert..but is this soft copper tubing (comes in rolls of like 50 ft) or copper pipe (10 ft lengths are common). Can't imagine they would bend copper pipe.

Old 11-26-10, 12:18 PM
A
It's not the one in rolls, it's pipe that comes in straight rigid pieces.

Old 11-26-10, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I'll have to let a Pro respond...but that just seems very strange to me. Would probably be more work than soldering a fitting. I'm sure it can be done with the right tools.and maybe it's more common than I think.

Old 11-26-10, 02:10 PM
It has been done a lot of times where someone heats the copper to get it to bend, not a good idea and most inspectors will shoot it down.

Old 11-26-10, 03:44 PM
I like the idea of using an external bender to create a turn in copper pipe. That's LESS opportunity for failure and more straight forward to my thinking.

Odd thing is - over to the bottom right - in the related videos section, there is a truly bizarre video on the very subject:

How to Bend Copper Pipes | Videos | DoItYourself.com

Old 11-26-10, 04:12 PM
This is a very common old school technique from years ago, and many buildings have this very design stretching decades in use without issue.

Far less friction in a piping design when bending, and the installation goes far quicker for the well experienced who use bending tools.

If you could bend instead of fit every turn of direction in your home, your copper piping system would be significantly quieter in operation.

This application is far better using type L instead of M, but M can be used with more effort in bending.

I wouldn't be concerned with this feature (bending) as long as it is done professionally, no kinks or indentations in the pipe through the bend, disturbing the inside diameter.