Mendum

Old 12-02-10, 02:27 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Mendum

Bathroom sink drains slowly. The galvanized pipe into the wall rotted, I was able to wrench it out. I replaced it with plastic and re plumbed the sink using the original sink drain ect. I removed the medicine cabinet and was able to see the connection.
The pipe in the wall connects to 90 degree elbow then to a pipe which is pitched, and connects to the main waste.

I also used an electric sink auger and ran it through the pipe to the main waste. The auger came out clean.

After the sink drains, and it sits for a time, I again fill the sink and let it drain it moves as expected and drains fully. Then just running water it slows down.

The house was built in 1960 and everything dates back to then. Any solutions?

Old 12-02-10, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 78 Upvotes on 70 Posts
The pipe behind the medicine cabinet would be the vent for the sink. Which way is it pitched? You may have snaked the vent. When you insert the snake from under the sink you need to make sure it goes down and not up. This can be tricky if this is indeed your issue.

Mike NJ

Old 12-02-10, 03:26 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Did you take all the galv. out? if not what is remaining is just as bad as the piece you removed, does that pipe go into a ell or a tee, if it goes into a ell only you don't have a vent.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: