Help! Shower Bathtub Spouts leaking badly!!!

Old 12-08-10, 11:09 PM
A
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! Shower Bathtub Spouts leaking badly!!!

Hello everyone,

My shower bathtub spouts have been leaking for past couple months and I finally decided to do something about it couple days ago. I went online to look at couple tutorials on what to do. I took out my old stems and took it to local homedepot. I was helped by one of the employee and he told me that I would need two new stems to replace the old one and that's exactly what I did. I carefully assembled everything back in place and I was happy to see that it stopped to leak after few drips. Now fast forward to today, after I was done showering I turned off the water and I realized my spouts was leaking but this time it was constant flow of water instead of drips. No matter how hard I turned my knobs it wouldn't stop, so I had to go cut off the main water valve.

This is the video of my spouts leaking constant flow of water.
YouTube - IMG 0118

I replaced both stems and I am still using the old steam seat since it didn't come with new stems. What is going on with my spouts? How come it was working fine until today? Did I get wrong size stems and is it not sealing properly (If this was the case I don't know how it wasn't dripping water past few days...)? I would really appreciate any kind of help. Please save me! Thank you

Old 12-09-10, 12:09 AM
Super Moderator
Received 78 Likes on 70 Posts
Price pfister I see. Do you have the old stems? Were they gerber???

Old 12-09-10, 12:13 AM
Super Moderator
Received 78 Likes on 70 Posts
I see a price pfister? Were the old stems gerber?? Put them next to each other and compare,

Old 12-09-10, 12:15 AM
B
maybe it is great

i naver see this,this is the forst,great thank you.my name is ball mill

Old 12-09-10, 12:28 AM
A
Hi there,

I am new to everything so I am not sure what Price pfister or gerber is. I am guessing that you are referring to the brands? If so I am not sure what brand these are since they are old. Do you think that my spouts was leaking so badly like in the video because my stem seat wasn't screwed tightly? come to think of it, that stem seat came right off when I took out the stem and from my own knowledge, you need a special tool to unscrew the stem seat but instead it came right off by it self...

Old 12-09-10, 12:36 AM
A
Hi there,

I am new to everything so I am not sure what Price pfister or gerber is. I am guessing that you are referring to the brands? If so I am not sure what brand these are since they are old. Do you think that my spouts was leaking so badly like in the video because my stem seat wasn't screwed tightly? come to think of it, that stem seat came right off when I took out the stem and from my own knowledge, you need a special tool to unscrew the stem seat but instead it came right off by it self...

Old 12-09-10, 04:53 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
If you didn't have to use a tool to remove the seats, then in all probability they are still loose. I would use a stem seat tool to tighten them down first. While you have the stems out, compare them apples for apples with the old ones to make sure the length is correct.

Old 12-09-10, 05:02 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Double post. Can get confusing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: