When to use teflon tape?

Old 12-09-10, 10:59 AM
M
Received 22 Upvotes on 17 Posts
When to use teflon tape?

I'm assembling a new two-handle lever-style lavatory faucet and the Y fitting (joins hot and cold lines to spout) has a rubber washer inside of it. Do I need to use teflon tape on the adjoining spout threads? I already had to disassemble this connection once because it was leaking, but found that the rubber washer had pushed its way up inside the spout because I evidently over tightened it. Mysterious thing is that I only hand tightened it and gave it maybe another half turn with a wrench. I'm tempted to remove the rubber washer and just use tape. Is this a bad idea?

Old 12-09-10, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Tape is for use on tapered pipe threads...any connection with a gasket or washer shouldn't need it.

Old 12-09-10, 11:55 AM
M
Received 22 Upvotes on 17 Posts
Thanks Gunguy. You sure know your stuff. Ever think about running for president? I removed the tape and simply hand tightened the fitting and no leaks so far. However, I did need to use tape on the metal extension piece that connects between the pop-up drain assembly and the p-trap.

Old 12-09-10, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Shouldn't need it there either, but I know sometimes the washers and stuff they give you just don't work well. I've never had good luck with the extension pipes. I've used PVC pipe to metal traps/drains and they always seem to leak. If I switch to metal and rubber washers they normally work fine.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: