Plumbing for dishwasher in cabinet?

Old 12-10-10, 09:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Plumbing for dishwasher in cabinet?

Hi there,
I had planned on installing a built-in dishwasher in the space just to the right of my sink in my kitchen, but unfortunately I'm not able to get the cabinets out. Therefore, my only option is to install it in a space that I used to have my refrigerator in, about 10 inches to the left of my stove. There's a small base cabinet in between. Well, my question is....on the West wall of the kitchen, there will be, in this order, installed along the base. Dishwasher, small base cabinet, gas stove, corner cabinet. Next to the corner cabinet, perpendicular to the West wall, along I'd like to do is install the drain and hot water lines along the back walls of the cabinet, surface mounted. They would run about 32" from the drain and supply lines under the sink, make a 90 degree left turn then run about 24" to the edge of the cabinet, through the wall, along the wall behind the stove, through the small base cabinet and to the dishwasher. I'm sure that this isn't the most approved method, but tearing the entire kitchen out isn't an option. Would I have to put them in some sort of an angle, or slope for the drain? I ran a cold water line like this for the icemaker of the refrigerator and it was no problem.

Any suggestions would be helpful. I already have the dishwasher, so selling it and purchasing a portable isn't an option, as someone suggested on a different blog. Pulling out the cabinets to run plumbing in-wall isn't an option either. I AM going to run the pipes this way, just want some ideas or tips on if I need to do anything specific.

Thanks!

Matthew

Old 12-11-10, 05:14 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Few questions: What will you dress up the left side of the dishwasher with? Is there already a countertop, or will you need to build or install one? Do you have access below the floor? Can you not run your supply and drain lines in a more direct method via the under floor method than around the wall. Keep in mind you will need 1/4" per foot in drop for the drain, so it may fall too much before you get around to the original drain. Running them under the floor will be so much simpler.

Old 12-11-10, 03:42 PM
I would not run the dishwasher hose downward, when you get to your cabinet that hose must connect to a air gap on the top of the counter or a high loop as close to the top of the sink as you can get, from there you hook it to the garbage diposal or a dishwasher tailpiece.

Old 12-11-10, 08:02 PM
Guess I should have been clearer. Downward AFTER the obligatory loop up. Mine is a separate drain with a trap under the floor similar to a washing machine. Looped as required.

Old 12-13-10, 06:08 PM
There is no garbage disposal to worry about, and I do not have any way of running the piping underneath, unless I'm to tear up the slab. That's not going to happen. As far as the airgap, can you please explain that to me? I understand it's for not allowing wastewater to back up into the clean water supply, but how could it possibly?

Old 12-13-10, 06:32 PM
M
It sounds like you feel the challenge is the draining of the dishwasher. The hot water supply sounds straight forward.
Forget installing a drain line. Its not necessary. The dishwasher "drains" under pressure; i.e. it pumps the water out. I would extend the drain hose of the dishwasher as far as you need to hook into the sink drain. (simply buy the same size hose, a connector and some clamps). You'll have to replace the tailpiece of the kitchen sink with one that has a "stub" to take the drain hose. And the loop is necessary to keep the dirty water from returning to the bottom of the dishwasher.

Old 12-13-10, 07:24 PM
The dishwasher drains under pressure, but in a long run, that water will lose it's momentum and back up if the drain pipe is not slanted toward the sink/drain. You will in essence double trap it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: