Outside faucet drips after turning off inside shutoff

Old 12-14-10, 06:33 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Outside faucet drips after turning off inside shutoff

For winter I turned off the water for the outside spigot at the inside shutoff. The inside shutoff was very hard to turn to the off position. When I turn on at the outside spigot to make sure all the water was drained it is dripping a little every 5 seconds or so. Should I just turn it off at the outside spigot and I will be fine for winter? Should I let it drip? Or is there something else I can do?

Thanks!

Old 12-14-10, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator
Received 78 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Turn off the inside faucet tighter. You could loosen the packing nut and try to turn more by hand. Just remember to tighten the packing nut back up.

If that dont work I used to just put adjustable pliers on the handle and give the handle a snug.

The washer could be no good in that valve. When the summer come you should invest in a new ball type valve there, and a frost free type hose bib for outside.

I would not turn it off with it dripping. It will fill and could freeze up.

How to install a frost-free sillcock | Wonder How To

Mike NJ

Old 12-15-10, 07:00 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The good news I was able to use a pliers and get the inside shutoff turned more to the off posistion. The bad, however, it may have been too late because before I could do that when I got home the outside spigot seems to have frozen with the water that was dripping from it. I see no other visible damages and no pipes seem to be broken or leaking. What are my options now? Just wait for it to get warmer and see if that by turning the shutoff more that it stopped the drip?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: