Gas Line Question

Old 12-15-10, 05:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas Line Question

Hello Everyone,

I am a very active DIY'er but don't mess with gas. My wife and I are going to have a hole drilled in our foundation for a wood stove. On the same wall the gas line from the gas meter comes in. My first question is - How can I tell where the gas lines are run or how they are run? What is code? Can they run through the walls or must they be run through the floor and ceiling beams? My second question is - Is the gas line considered a combustible and do I use the 18" clearance from the stove pipe that I would with any other combustible? Not sure on clearance issues. Any help would be great. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-10, 05:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 187 Votes on 174 Posts
I do not know for sure if gas lines are considered combustible (I think not) but I would consider it as combustable. Common sense says keep the gas line away from your wood stove as much as possibe. If you cannot locate your stove and flue far enough away from the line it might be relatively easier to relocate the gas line. If there is no way to get the two away from each other I would install steel heat shields to protect the gas line.

Gas lines can be run inside walls, floors and ceilings. A metal detector may find them but I generally look at where it's coming from and where it's going and assume it is somewhere in between. If drilling a hole into or through the wall I would drill a exploratory hole through the wall board to verify that you will not hit the gas line before drilling all the way through.

Old 12-16-10, 11:58 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What do you feel the proper clearance would be for the chimney from the gas meter?

Old 12-16-10, 12:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 187 Votes on 174 Posts
I don't know the spec for spacing from a chimney flue but this page gives some guidance.

http://www.pse.com/SiteCollectionDoc...lders/3885.pdf