Replacing a threaded steel line between two elbows?????

Old 12-29-10, 04:46 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replacing a threaded steel line between two elbows?????

Hello there!! I have a steel water line leaking in my garage. The line split due to water being frozen in it and it is in between two elbows. I plan on cutting it in half and then removing both pieces but how exactly do I install the new section of pipe in between the two elbows because tightening one end will be loosening the other?? The pipe is up against the wall so a union won't fit. Do they make an elbow that one end is reverse thread for such a case or how exactly do I go about doing this??

Thanks in advance!!

Old 12-29-10, 05:02 PM
S
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The steel pipe

Yes they do make a left and riight coupling but probably only in black, but thats OK as it will only be a small part of your run, and will probably last as long as the rest of the steel pipe. Or with a couple of adapters, you can put in pex or copper, or unless you really need the line just plug it for the winter, and mabey try to cover it to help prevent re freezing.
Sid

Old 12-29-10, 07:02 PM
L
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Do they make right and left elbows?? I searched but came up with nothing. It would make this so much easier to just take the old pipe out, replace one of the elbows and screw the new pipe in but I'm not seeing a right and left thread elbow??

Old 12-29-10, 07:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
You didn't say how long this nipple was, but if you have the space, you should use two shorter nipples and a union between the two. That's the easiest way to put them back together. I've never heard of, nor used right-left threaded nipples.

Old 12-30-10, 05:35 AM
Super Moderator
Received 66 Upvotes on 61 Posts
I have used fitting catalogs from many different fitting makers and have never seen left hand fittings except for some specialized brass ones.
Acetylene and POL fittings for propane are two I am familiar with.

A few things you could consider is to try to enlarge the openings where the line passes through to allow space for a union.
Dismantle the line from the beginning or end to retrace the way the line was put in originally.
Least desirable would be to cut out the damaged piece and replace it with copper.
If you used a piece of soft copper you could put a gentle bend in it to allow a brass union.

Old 12-30-10, 12:35 PM
F
Received 37 Upvotes on 29 Posts
Left/right threaded fittings were used a hundred years ago for fuel gas piping to avoid the use of unions. The unions back then used a gasket to seal two flat faces rather than the brass ring and ground joint used today. As the gaskets dried out they had a tendency to leak. There may still be some local codes that require left/right fittings on gas piping but no national code requirement.

It also took a fairly skilled fitter to calculate the exact length necessary to have both ends of a left/right fitting tighten up properly.

Old 12-30-10, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 78 Upvotes on 70 Posts
You said you cant use a union?

Intall two brass nipples in the elbows and install a female adapter on the ends of the nipple. Then sweat in a piece of copper. You may get corrosion if you put the copper right into the galvinized pipe.

Mike NJ

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: