Sewer gas smell??? under bathroom sink

Old 01-04-11, 02:04 PM
K
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sewer gas smell??? under bathroom sink

There is a smell in one of my bathrooms that is particularly strong inside the vanity under the sink. I don't know if it is sewer gas or not, but I'm guessing it is. It doesn't really smell like sewage, though. It is stronger sometimes than others. The only other time I smelled this same smell was when I had tile being replaced in another bathroom and the toilet was completely removed at the time. Does this sound like it could be sewer gas?

Next question: If it is sewer gas, could it be that the PVC pipes under the sink have a leak? Is there a way for me to check this? There is quite a bit of putty in a couple of places (at the seams), so I wondered if that might mean someone was trying to fix a leak or if that is normal.

If replacing the pipes is a good idea, I would like to try to do that myself with some guidance.

Thanks.

Old 01-04-11, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 78 Likes on 70 Posts
If there is a trap there you would not smell sewer gas. It may be leaking and you have wet damp wood. Remove everything from the bottom of sink and feel around. Have you used any drain cleaners? These give off a bad smell. Also alot of people have these big soaking tubs in thier homes that they dont use. They never run water in them and the water in the trap dries up. If you have one of these run some water down the drain.

Let us know. Take some pics if you can.

Mike NJ

Old 01-04-11, 02:41 PM
K
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is no water leaking under the sink. We do not use drain cleaners. I did find several bottles of Lysol toilet bowl cleaner in the cabinet under the sink. When I opened one just now, it smelled kind of like the odor I've been smelling. Maybe I'll move these to another room and see if that makes a difference. (Easier than a plumbing repair!) Thanks for your help.

Old 01-04-11, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 78 Likes on 70 Posts
Good luck. Lets us know.

Mike NJ

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: