Help - plumbing backed up - water in basement

Old 01-05-11, 12:21 PM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help - plumbing backed up - water in basement

Hi everyone, I need your help. I have a house with a basement that flooded after the recent thaw of the snow following heavy rain. At first I thought that was the reason there was about 2 inches of water covering the entire basement. After extracting all the water, I realized there was water bubbling up out of an old never used anymore shower drain in a concrete block shower. I went to the hardware store and bought a plug and plugged that drain. I also should mention that about 15 feet away from the shower there was an old toilet drain that had been plugged and concrete poured on top. I also noticed water seeping out of that concrete. So now I have water seeping out of the concrete on the old toilet drain and also now seeping out from under the block wall around the shower. Could this old toilet drain be stopped up even though it hasn't been used for years? It doesn't make sense to me because all of the drains on the main level of the house are working fine. No backups there. What was water covering the entire floor is now just water slowly seeping from the toilet and shower. I have used drylock around the shower and water is still seeping. What do I do? Should I call a plumber? Help!!! Thanks

Old 01-05-11, 01:43 PM
I would try to do the following first.
Can you tell if the water is "gray water", does it smell ?
Did you turn off all the water in your house for a couple of hours to see if it could possibly be from a broken pipe in your own house?

If the water stops or slows down that would tell you something.

Do you live in a city, suburb or rural. If city of suburb, check with the neighbors to see if they are having similar problems, it might be a city sewer problem.

You could put dye in the toilet and see if it comes up in the basement.

That would give you a lot more to go on. The first thing I would do would be to shut off my water and go to the plumbing supply house for a dye packet.

Old 01-05-11, 02:08 PM
J
answer

I live in the city and the water is clear. It doesn't smell. You are suggesting that I put dye in the main level toilet, flush it and see if it comes up in the basement? Thanks for your help.

Old 01-05-11, 02:19 PM
If the water is clear and doesn't smell it probably is not coming from your waste line so hold off on the dye packet for now. First turn off the main to the house for a couple of hours. Lets make sure that its not a broken pipe from your house. It could be that a city water main on your street has cracked. I would call the water dept and ask them to come around. Thats what they get paid for. But first shut your own water off.

Old 01-05-11, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 78 Likes on 70 Posts
If anything is backing up in your basement its in the line past the farthest fixture that leaves the house. If its coming up from the toilet and that is the last on the line before it leaves the house then its in that line from toilet to outside sewer. Roots???????????????????

Let us know..

Mike NJ

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: