Any sense in converting copper to pvc?

Old 01-06-11, 10:07 AM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Any sense in converting copper to pvc?

I'm turning my basement 1/2 bath to a full bath. This involves busting up the floor so I can rough in the new closet flange location as well as add the shower drain. It's iron/copper now and I'm going to be converting that to pvc starting as high up the drain stack as I can access. However, as far as the sink water supply, toilet water supply, and shower, should I just convert those over to pvc as far back on the copper as I can or just stay the course complete the runs using copper?

Old 01-06-11, 02:23 PM
Upvotes: 0
At $ 20 a length for copper how many pieces do you need to get? Are you doing this yourself? I just switched out a bathroom to PEX tubing. It is very inexpensive and much easier to install than pvc since all you do it unroll it like a garden hose. The one downside is that you have to buy the pex clamping tool which is between $50 - $100. A 100' foot length of pex tubing is only about $35 and if your really anal like me you can get red tubing for hot and blue tubing for cold.

Old 01-06-11, 03:45 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
You can't use PVC piping on hot water. I think the small amount of copper necessary will more than make up for using an inferior (my opinion) product in what sounds like a relatively small job. Use PVC or ABS (whatever is currently in vogue in your area or matches what you already have) for any drainage piping.

Old 01-06-11, 04:17 PM
W
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by bish80
At $ 20 a length for copper how many pieces do you need to get? Are you doing this yourself? I just switched out a bathroom to PEX tubing. It is very inexpensive and much easier to install than pvc since all you do it unroll it like a garden hose. The one downside is that you have to buy the pex clamping tool which is between $50 - $100. A 100' foot length of pex tubing is only about $35 and if your really anal like me you can get red tubing for hot and blue tubing for cold.
As you say, there is a downside for a DIYer to replace existing copper supply lines with PEX. My current bathroom reno was originally planned with PEX tubing. A visit to the local home improvement store convinced me to stick with copper. In the long run copper was more competitive than PEX because I didn't have to buy any tools, I could reuse some of the old copper pipe, I had some leftover copper fittings and the fittings for PEX added quite a bit to the overall cost.

Old 01-07-11, 05:35 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Once you use PEX you'll never go back to copper. The fittings are cheaper. the pipe is cheaper and you can install it in a tenth of time and don't have to worry about catching things on fire of leaks. You know how much time you can spend with copper trying to re-solder a leak. With PEX if you ever do find a leak you simple cut off the crimping clamp and put another one on. The tool is expensive but I think you can rent it at Home Depot. Even if you can't it's worth the price just in parts savings alone.

Old 01-07-11, 07:29 AM
M
Interesting. Never even heard of the stuff. I guess my problem with copper is it gets all green and I'm pretty certain that's bad.

Old 01-07-11, 09:46 AM
Z
Received 124 Upvotes on 115 Posts
hey moveright. I’m no expert like the folks here. But I was surprised to find in my township copper was required for all supply lines for additions and new construction. It might have just changed recently because I can’t seem to find that requirement again – but I know for sure it was there (and good chance it still is).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: