pex pipe crimps failing

Old 01-07-11, 11:08 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
pex pipe crimps failing

the red and black pex type water pipes in my house have those slide on ring type crimps to join the pipes together. I went to insulate some hot water bits and noticed some leaking on the floor under a joint. It resealed but that is a bad sign. Anyone else notice this on the ring type connectors..?? If it continues
can I replace the connectors with hose clamps..??? If so how would you get the rings back and off the seats on the metal adaptors..?? any info appreciated..

Old 01-07-11, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator
Received 78 Upvotes on 70 Posts
You need to cut the rings off and pry apart. The tool could have been out of adjustment. Are these the black brass rings or the S/S cinch rings?

You need to leave 1/8 inch of pipe exposed from ring to fitting and make sure you crimp square. There is a test jig that comes with the crimper to test how the rings crimp.

And its red and blue pipe correct? Water pipe or heating?

Mike NJ

Old 01-07-11, 01:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Square crimping is definitely imperative. A customer called me to check a small "drip" they had. They were readying themselves to be gone to Hawaii for 2 or 3 weeks. The small drip was at a crosswise crimp and a disaster waiting to happen. I shudder to think how long it had been that way and moreso how long it would have lasted. 20 minute fix, and I advised them to turn their water off on extended vacations like that.

Old 01-08-11, 06:55 PM
black rings...I dont have a crimper..is there an alternative?? it is strange that just moving the pipe slightly when insulating other pipes caused a leak and then it went away.
I am now unsure about this pex stuff.
If I buy a crimper ,which kind is best???I know there are several kinds...
this kind that pulls the ring up and over is not my first choice I dont think..
It wont damage the pipe to cut off that thick ring..??

Old 01-09-11, 04:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Yes, it will probably compromise the pipe. It needs to be cut back behind the ring as well. You want to grab new pipe with your new ring. Again, the original installation may have been made with crimpers that were out of calibration. The crimpers come with a go/no go gauge and tell you how to adjust them.

Old 01-09-11, 12:46 PM
what cheaper priced system would you buy..?? I guess I have to buy one if my house has this stuff. It needs to do 3/4 and 1/2 cause I have both..

I do have a wire hydraulic crimper from central hydraulics/Harbor freight..
can I get a die for crimping pex..?. it is that one that was about 45 $..

Old 01-09-11, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 78 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Old 01-09-11, 02:39 PM
one last comment... I am looking at replacing and redesigning the lines
in the basement only because they dont have access and frozen lines
are a real issue here. There are also no shut off valves anywhere in the system. Since this is mostly utility water, why dont I just transition to
1/2 inch black plastic pipe with hose clamp fittings and screw the whole expensive pex thing.What is so great about it anyway. Black pipe is
potable anyway yes??? That way I can make a whole system myself and it is easy...why shouldnt I..????

Old 01-10-11, 06:07 AM
M
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Don't switch to black plastic you're only asking for problems. Cut the old crimps off and re-do what you have. Once you see how easy it is to repair or replace you'll be glad you did it. They have the crimping tool at Lowe's or HD for about $75 dollars and it will do both 1/2 and 3/4. They also have all the fittings and pipes. I think they also rent the tool.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: