bathtub refinishing

Old 01-10-11, 01:22 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
bathtub refinishing

I refinished my bath tub with Rust-Oleum bathtub refinish kit. 6 years later, the paint is peeling and cracking. The areas that are peeling and cracking are not even so I can't just put another layer on top. Replacing the bathtub would be too expensive. Is there a way to make the bathtub look better without replacing it? If I use paint thinner, would it get the old paint off?

Old 01-10-11, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
You have some choices,

Try it yourself again.

Reglaze. I have seen the re-glazers do tubs and it looked like new. Here is a link to info.

Bathtub Refinishing - Refinish Bathtub - Bathtub Reglazing

With have bath fitters in NJ that put a shell over your old tub. I have seen this done and I dont recommend it.

Gut the bath and start over.

Mike NJ

Old 01-11-11, 05:01 AM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
It's not big of a job to replace the tub and you can get a tub for under $200 dollars. If it's a standard 5' tub then all you have to do is disconnect the drain, pull or break the tub up put the new one in place and reconnect the drain. The biggest problem that you could run into would be reconnecting the drain in case it doesn't line up. If that happens then call in a plumber and have him do it. You will have to re-tile the walls but that isn't as difficult as it may seem and you should put a new faucet in again not as difficult as it would seem. In the end you'll have what you're looking for and not just a band-aid that will need to be redone in another year or two. Just MHO.

Old 01-11-11, 05:34 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
We do a lot of the work on our units ourselves (have to in order to make a profit) but one of the tasks we hire out is tub glazing and they're not cheap - it might be less cost to replace than repair

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: