Plumbing question.

Old 01-11-11, 07:29 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Plumbing question.

I just finished putting together a drain in my laundry room for my washer and utility sink.

I had everything cut to size and marked for fall requirements. But when I cemented the joints the fall kind of got messed up in a couple of places.

The drain starts at the washer.
1. The fall ended up being more than 1/4" per foot in the first stretch. (3 feet long)
2. The second stretch has no fall. (3 feet long)
3. The third stretch again has more than 1/4" per foot of fall. This is also where the sink drain comes in. (3 feet long)
4. The fourth stretch also is flat. (2 feet long)
5. The drain connection to the floor is almost flat. (18 inches long)

Will this be a problem? Do I need to do it all over again?

Old 01-11-11, 08:26 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Is this installation between studs? Did you measure your holes correctly? Using pvc pipe, quite often we don't take into consideration the "suck up" of the pipe. You dry fit them and mark them without this consideration and when you apply glue the pipe is actually shorter than planned.
Sounds as if you were to raise the far end of the first run to 1/4" pf, it would help the second piece achieve it's drop. Likewise with the 3rd stretch being too steep and #4 flat. Raise the far end of #3 to reduce it's drop giving #4 some fall.
You may want to post some pictures of the install here so we can see what you have. We may have other options for you. http://forum.doityourself.com/electr...your-post.html

Old 01-11-11, 09:11 AM
B
This installation is outside the wall and has already been glued together and attached to the wall. So moving it around is not quite possible.

I will post some pictures later.

Old 01-11-11, 03:52 PM
>>>Will this be a problem? Do I need to do it all over again?

Old 01-11-11, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 78 Upvotes on 70 Posts
How is it attachced to the wall??? It should have pipe clamps if outside wall. PVC has some give. Start at the floor level and work your way back to the washer. Pull the pipe up slightly and re-screw the clamps 1/4 inch higher. If you do the two level sections then the last section at the dryer should be like 1" higher. Get what I am saying???

Whats all these sections for??? Why did'nt you use one piece of pipe? Even if you had to turn at a wall corner still two pieces would be good. The end at the washer should be vertical.

And if you have pitch on sections and others are level I would not sweat it. As long as no back pitch.

Mike NJ

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: