Check Valve On Kitchen Sink Drain

Old 01-18-11, 03:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Check Valve On Kitchen Sink Drain

Hello,

I live in a multi-unit condo and recently had an issue with a lot of water backing up into my kitchen sink. At first I would come home to find dirt in my sink an had no idea what was going on. Eventually I caught it happening and saw my sink fill with hot water (slightly soapy - from another unit's washing machine?). Called the management company and they sent out a plumber to snake the line. This didn't work - more water backup a day later. At that point the only solution offered by the condo's plumber was to install a 2" check valve before the trap (closer to the sewer) under my sink.

Is this a typical installation? Or did we just hide the symptoms of a bigger problem? Should I be concerned?

If not a clogged drain, what could be causing the water backing up into my sink? Is it possible that the plumber's snake didn't hit the clog (he went about 20 feet with a powered augered, maybe 1/4" diameter).

Thanks,
Oleg

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-11, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator
Though I've never lived in a condo (and hope I never will, no offense)...it should be the managements responsibility! That's what your fees go for as I understand.

They handle the basic infrastructure. Since they sent a plumber..I'm pretty sure I'm correct.

You don't modify/jury-rig a fix to a plumbing/drain system that has been working fine until now.

Old 01-18-11, 03:57 PM
No! you don't want to install a check valve, all that will do is cause you more problems.

You have a clog further down the line that the sinks are connected into, the line has to be snaked further

Old 01-18-11, 04:08 PM
Did I mention the check valve is already installed? This was done by the condo's plumber, who then tried to charge me individually for the work, because the management company decided it wasn't their responsiblity. After a short dispute they decided to not seek payment.

What do I do now? Is there harm in leaving the check valve in place? Is there any plumbing codes or guidelines I can site to convince them to solve the water backup problem by some proper means? Any ideas?