Tie Black Gas Pipe up closer to joists

Old 01-22-11, 02:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tie Black Gas Pipe up closer to joists

I'm finishing my basement and plan to drywall the ceiling. The black pipe gas line runs down the middle of my room perpendicular to the joists. The pipe is hung on wire hangers with 2" clearance below the joists, so the total drop from the joists is 3 1/2". There is enough flex in the pipe that I could push the entire 20' length up against the joists and reafix it with wire hangers. This would make the gas line roughly the same height as some water lines that I have to fir around anyway. Is there any reason not to push the pipe up and tie it up against the joists? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-11, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
It depends on how much stress you are putting at the ends. Most of the time its some type of swing joint. Just make sure the pipe is not stressing gas valves and things like that.

Mike NJ

Old 01-22-11, 04:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks Mike. That's good news. There's a swing joint on one end of the pipe and CSST on the other. The pipe running off the swing joint runs to a t-joint down to the furnace and another swing joint down to the water heater. The pipes running down to the furnace and water heater flex upwards slightly when I push the supply pipe up to the joist but I don't think the valves at those appliances would be stressed.