Polybutylene inside repairs?

Old 01-23-11, 03:37 AM
Polybutylene inside repairs?

Long story short, I need to repair some leaking polybutylene lines to my kitchen in my second home. The heat was left off and the lines froze, you know the rest.
What we have is the gray polybutylene, using circular clamps. Would it be feasable to repair these myself? I have access to the lines, I know they're leaking under the sink and in the crawl space.
What kind of tools would I need? Is the pipe still available, as well as any fittings?
Thanks in advance.
How 'bout it Chandler?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-11, 04:01 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hey Bruce! If you have access and can re-fish the piping up to the sink, etc., you would want to use PEX with the round crimps. The crimping tool will run you about $65. Not sure you have polybutylene, but it may even be pex. When was the house built? Is it in Marietta or elsewhere? Reason I ask, certain areas would not allow it even as it was made.
You can find the pipe, fittings and the tools (check to see if you need only 1/2" or both 1/2" and 3/4" -- tool for both may be more) are all available at plumbing supply houses or at Big Orange.
Man you're up early! I gotta go work audio at church, what's your excuse?

Old 01-23-11, 06:10 AM
The cabin is on Burnt Mtn, midway between Jasper, Ellijay and Dawsonville. I'm sure it the gray polybutylene. I checked into it when we bought the cabin about 10 years ago. I believe it was built in the early 80's. It's marked QEST -3 -C7 -88 -1 -3P -3P -3P.

Actually, I was in Statesville, NC, where I spent the night. I'm on my way to Washington, DC to work for the next two weeks. I work for AVAYA and am loaned to the Capitol to move the phones for the House of Reps, which we finished a couple of weeks ago, and the committies.

Old 01-23-11, 06:22 AM
Qwest tubing has lots of class action suites againt them. And it's no longer avalible. It's also a differant size on the ID then the new Pex.
Polybutylene Plumbing and Pipe Replacement-Polybutylene Lawsuit and Class Action Settlement Information
It all needs to come out and be redone with Pex. They do sell fittings that go from Quest to Pex but why use them if the Quest that's left in there is just going to fail at some point.
Never use those cheap compression style gray plastic fittings when making your connections, use only the brass fittings and the metal rings.
Pex will expand and not break when it freazes.
Pex has never and will never make there tubing in a gray color. They do not want anyone to think there tubing is like Quest. It comes in blue, red and opaque. There all the same tubing just color coded to make it easy to ID a long run between floors for hot and cold water lines.

Old 01-23-11, 06:28 AM
[QUOTE=joecaption;1816686]Qwest tubing has lots of class action suites againt them.

is just going to fail at some point.

QUOTE]

Thanks, I'll check that out.
About it failing, when I bought the cabin I did some research and found that it was chlorine that made the polybutylene fail. We're on a well without cholrine.

Old 01-23-11, 10:50 AM
Bruce, you may have freeze failing rather than chlorine failure. Is the heat left on all the time, or is there a chance of it freezing, being unattended? I see, you're just north of 136.
As you leave Young Harris, you go through Blue Ridge, Ellijay, then turn left before you get to Jasper on 136. Nice area.
You may have a better chance with PEX, as Joe mentioned. Polybutylene didn't flex much.
I ain't gonna get political, but "move the phones"? For what? Won't they be there next session? I mean the House has been there for over 200 years.

Old 01-23-11, 07:39 PM
Every 2 years when then new representatives come to the Capitol and they ger offices in the Cannon, Longworth and Rayburn buildings. All the reps that didn't get reelected participate in a lottery to determine which offices they get. If they they have seniority they can stay where they are if they like their office, if not, they can enter the lottery to see if the get a better office. We are there to move their phones.
About the water lines, I'll probably get a couple of quotes from plumbers to check the cost. Maybe I'll have them replace the lines to the kitchen sink and dishwasher. I'll probable do the conversion to Pex just for the kitchen. Do you have any plumber that you would recommend in the Ellijay or Jasper area?
Yes, it's from the freeze, not chlorine.
What really happened was that my wife let her sister and some girl friends stay there in mid Dec. I explained what circuit breaker to turn off and to set the thermostat at 40 degrees. She set the thermostat but then turned off the breakers to the to electric furnace. oops! We received the power bill last week and it was just under $10. I knew then that there was a problem. It could be worse.

Old 01-24-11, 04:54 AM
Oooh, the sister in law thing. Been there. Yep, it could have been a lot worse! I'll PM you some information to get you going in the right direction.