Very wet front yard, might have slow pipe leak

Old 01-27-11, 06:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Very wet front yard, might have slow pipe leak

I live in West Tennessee and we've had some below freezing/snow days here lately. I just noticed I have quite a bit of water in my front yard. Snow has been gone for days. I notice a point in my yard where it's really wet and i can see it draining off towards my neighbors. It's about 25 ft from the street. If i walk towards the street or the opposite way in my yard, it's dry as a bone. The water is not gushing or flowing, it's just way to wet in certain parts of the yard for the amount of precipitation we've had lately.

I guess the city will tell me it's my responsibility and to call a plumber? Is there anything I can do myself or is this definitely a job for the pros? And what's the price range ballpark I should be expecting?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-11, 07:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
Many location differ on who's responsibility it is to repair a lees like that. Around here, it is the city's up until it enters the home.

If it is your responsibility it really is nothing more then digging up the yard in about the center of the wet spot hoping that is where the leak is. If not, keep digging. Then turn off the water and repair the leak. How will depend on what type of pipe it is.

Even if you want to call a plumber to make the repair you could save some money and at least run the shovel and find the leak.

Old 01-27-11, 07:34 PM
You're only guessing at what the city will say? Why? Depending on local ordinances, the city's responsibility may end at the meter or at the main shutoff at/in the house. Just call the Public Works department and ask if they will repair it. If they say No, then start calling around for bids. Also, check with your homeowners insurance company to see if you're covered for a water mains break on your property that supplies your house.

Old 01-27-11, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
Sewers dont usually do that and seep in the ground. Main water services usually sprout up in the yard. Most towns are responsible to the meter. If its in your front yard. If the meter is in the home then they say they are responsible to the key at the curb.

Mike NJ

Old 01-27-11, 08:50 PM
I don't see anywhere in this thread that "sewers" were mentioned until you wrote it, but I should have said Water Dept.

Old 01-27-11, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
Well sewers are 4 ft down here. And I have seen some flooded yards. TN possibly more shallow. He did not state it was gushing or flowing like water pressure, but said the yard was wet in an area.

Could be sewer....

Mike NJ

Old 01-28-11, 11:18 AM
Received 28 Votes on 22 Posts
In my area the water meters are all at the edge of the property closest to the utility main. This means that all the piping between the main and the meter is the responsibility of the water utility and all piping after the meter is the responsibility of the property owner.

If you have the same arrangement then determining if a leak exists between the meter and the house is pretty easy. Just close the main valve at the house and observe the meter, there will be a hand or dial that will move (slowly) for the smallest of flows. If this "tattletale" is moving when no water is being used at the house then you have a leak in the piping between the meter and the house.

Old 01-28-11, 04:00 PM
Just an update, my buddy knew a guy that owed him a favored and he came over this afternoon and took care of it for 300 bucks. He dug out the spot where it seemed to have originated (where it was the most wet). The PVC pipe had nearly broke in two from a tree root. He cut out a section and replaced it...i'm fuzzy on exactly what he did because I just got the hell out of his way and didn't ask questions. Anyway, thanks for the responses.