Are water arresters needed for utility sink and refer tap?

Old 01-31-11, 04:09 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Are water arresters needed for utility sink and refer tap?

I'm piecing together my plumbing before I'm forced to sweat it together myself due to lack of funds. Praying for a miracle before it comes to that...........but anyway (who cares right?).

Every utility sink I've seen does not have a "air gap"/"water hammer arrester", but why not? It was my plan to do so, since I have the option, but should I just give up on the idea because there is a particular part I can't find. This is going to be hard to describe, but I'll try. I was looking for a brass (I think they are called) drop ear tee. 1/2"c x 1/2"c straight through w/1/2" threads at the tee for my stub outs. Does that make sense? So, the fitting would be vertical with 1/2"c feed in the bottom, then straight through with 1/2"c out the top for the air gap and 1/2" threaded nipple in the middle (at the tee) stubbed out of the wall for the faucet. Whew......got it? I can't find a brass fitting like I described, only 90 degrees.

Here's my other question (same deal), should I air gap my water tap for my refrigerator's ice maker?

Should I give up and just skip the air gap for these two outlets? Opinions........

Old 01-31-11, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 78 Upvotes on 70 Posts
The water arresters are for water hammer. If the laundry tub is where the washer is then its a good choice.

You could get these in the local homestore.

Brass Tee, 1/2" # 37409 by Smith Cooper International

Also these

Water Hammer Arrestors, Water Safety & Flow Control, Watts

The ice maker is low flow and I dont think you need one there but may take care of the kitchen sink cold line.

Mike NJ

Old 01-31-11, 04:58 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
That's it lawrosa! Thanks.

That's what I had pictured in my head. I can't explain why 2 of the biggest big box chain stores in the nation don't carry those.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: