How can I move my P-Trap and piping to line up with new sink?

Old 02-01-11, 07:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How can I move my P-Trap and piping to line up with new sink?

I'm replacing my kitchen sink and although it's the same size, the drain holes in the old sink were near the front and the drain holes in the new sink are near the back. Anyways, the P-Trap is forward about 6 inches or so. I was told I can simply cut the pipe coming out of the wall and refit it to the P-Trap. However, I have a large vent that prevents me from shortening anything to move the P-Trap. What can I do to move everything back 6 inches?

Last edited by adamrobertson; 02-01-11 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Adding Image
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-11, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Use a center outlet.

Remove that trap. You will have threads where the trap slides into. Use this to get it back to a gluable piece to pipe the arm to the new trap location.

Threaded on one side gluable on the other.

Then a 90 degree st ell to the trap.

Even it the new arm comes out farther you swing the trap to reach the new arm.

Mike NJ

Old 02-01-11, 08:48 PM
Thanks. So where and how will the center outlet attach? I see how the 90 degree will save space but I'm still unclear on the center outlet.

Ahhh... is this similar to what you mean (except I would rotate the center outlet 90 degrees so it's reaching back 6-8 inches?

The only question I have, is if I swing the center outlet back to gain my 6-8 inches, what about the piping that needs to run to the garbage disposal? Technically, it would be running perpendicular to where it needs to be.

Last edited by adamrobertson; 02-01-11 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Adding Image
Old 02-01-11, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator
You have a two drain sink? The two ends attach to the drain and the trap will be at the center.

Like this. Its the only pic I could find.

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0PDoS565E...drainplumb.jpg

And do you have a disposal? And no you dont turn the outlet. It gets piped just like the pics.
Mike NJ

Old 02-01-11, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator

Old 02-01-11, 09:21 PM
Yep, the disposal is the pipe running off the right side of the picture. So are you recommending that I rotate the trap 90 degrees so it's perpendicular to where it is now, and then running the center outlet to each drain? Are you able to modify each end of the center outlet to get the length you need? Sorry, this is all new to me but this route really seems to make sense.

Old 02-01-11, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator
OK your pic is better then if you have a disposal. The thing with the disposal is it comes with an ell, but in your pic they put the tail pice staright in. This get you the height you may need. You dont want the trap to be lower then where it goes into the wall

So yes pipe it like in your pic and swing the ell out 90 degrees or how ever far you need. If the trap is lower then you can do something with the lower trap. I will draw something and post in a few.

Mike NJ

Old 02-01-11, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator

And if you cant get the height then cap that one with the vent where the trap is now and cut that riser from the lower trap. That riser is for the DW? Tie that into the disposal.

Why is that vent there anyway? I would cut that vent off to the wall and cap it. And use the lower trap.

Mike NJ

Old 02-01-11, 10:15 PM
Not sure why the vent is there. Is it needed?

Old 02-01-11, 10:48 PM
Super Moderator
Is the sink up to an outside wall? Is there a window infront of your sink? Look outside on the roof right above where your sink is. Do you see a vent pipe on the roof above the kitchen wundow somewhere? If so you can do away with that vent and use the lower trap. Cut that vent off at the wall and glue a clean out cap on. So you can snake it if needed.

Also if you use the bottom trap(which you should) That trap is hard trapped, meaning it does not come apart. You should add a clean out tee there also.

Mike NJ