What are these

Old 02-03-11, 06:01 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What are these

Hello,

I have a couple of PVC pipes that that come up out of the ground outside of my master bedroom. They have screw on lids. It looks like the run under the house. There is no standing water at the elbow (which is all I can see). What exactly are these called and what are they used for?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-11, 06:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

If it's 3" or 4" pvc it's probably a sewer clean out.

A pic might be useful - http://forum.doityourself.com/electr...your-post.html

Old 02-03-11, 06:32 AM
Thanks Mark! If they are sewer clean outs, does that mean that they simple connect into my sewer lines? They are just an access point into the lines that run into the sewer? I have two of them in the same area - near our master bedrrom which has a bathroom. Should I assume that one of them connects to the master bathroom sewer line and that the other one runs to our other bathrrom (a couple of rooms away)? Do such lines usually run beneath the slab and connect to the TOP of a swer line?

Sorry for all of the questions. I don't know anything and want to know everything about them.

Old 02-03-11, 08:28 AM
The one closest to the house has an elbow that facilitates sending an auger to the street to clear clogs between the house and the municipal sewer line (or your septic tank), most often tree roots. The one farthest from the house sends the auger into the house to open clogs in that direction.