pex tubing

Old 02-11-11, 01:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
pex tubing

I am fixing to replace all water lines which is 1/2" galvanized pipe which is about 30 yrs old.I want to replace with the pex tubing so should i use 1/2" or 3/4" tubing.
I have a water pressure drop if taking a shower & a faucet is opened up.
I also was told when i replaced with 1/2" when i got to where i have to tee off to go up to bathroom fixtures & kitchen sink to use 3/4" tubing & i would not experience the water pressure drop when another fixture was turned on.would it be better to just use 3/4" tubing from start to finish & not worry about the 1/2" at all.
Thanks for your help. Mccoy

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-11, 04:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I would use 3/4" as "home runs" the length of the house and on all lateral branches. Then turn up with 1/2" to each fixture. That way you are only using 1/2 the capacity of the 3/4" (or thereabouts) when you flush the toilet since the stop valve outlet is only 3/8", allowing the other 1/2 to furnish the shower. I have copper in my house and that's what the guy did back in the 70's and I can't tell when someone even turns on another shower when I'm in mine. You would have a problem connecting 3/4" pex to any stop valve, since most are all 1/2" so turn up with 1/2". You'll have to buy both crimpers or one with dual throats. Good luck with it.