Basement drain in the way

Old 02-14-11, 05:12 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement drain in the way

Am finishing basement and am having issues with drain location. I cannot afford to move drain. The center of drain is 33.5" from wall. Base cabniets are 24". This will put drain underfoot while doing dishes etc. The slope/grade (not sure of the term to use here) of the drain is aprox 1.5". When I install my base cabinets there will be a significant gap under the toe kick and floor. Am getting ready to float/level the floor and am not sure how much (if any) I can eliminate. Would like to get rid of 90%+ of the slope. Here are some pictures I have taken to give better idea of what I am talking about.

Last edited by MECarter; 02-14-11 at 06:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-11, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
If you dont need the floor drain cap it off and level the floor as you like.

Mike NJ

Old 02-15-11, 06:12 AM
Great idea lawrosa. I don't believe I need the drain per say but if flood occurs ie. pipe burst, I would like to have it then. I will look at store for a flush cap and keep a very light grade in case of possible large spills/flood. Thanks!

Old 02-15-11, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator
something like this....

Old 02-15-11, 12:47 PM
Wingnut will be tripping hazard I think, but understand what you mean. Needs to be flush with floor as will be directly in front of a kitchen sink ~ also ~ is old drain (picture below) will have to make-shift something and glue to existing drain to create water-tight seal. use coffee can or something similar to size of cap when floating around drain to keep leveler from going down/in drain, or maybe just use cap?

Old 02-15-11, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator
That plug goes inside the 1 1/2" opening. It will be below the cement line. This are water tight and we used them as test plugs when filling the system with water for leak testing. They make other types.

I was thinking you were going to cement right over this.

You could get a drain extender. Stack them to get the height.

It goes by how far your screw holes are apart on sizing.

https://www.tiletools.com/product/ex...on-kit-371.cfm

Mike NJ

Last edited by lawrosa; 02-15-11 at 07:27 PM.
Old 02-16-11, 05:41 AM
Great! Exactly what I was looking for at lowes but didn't see anything like it. Would like to cap for asthetic reasons but if had water issues later on I think I would regret not having drain. The link is the way I think I will go. Allows me to keep drain but lift to lessen the grade. Thanks a million Mike, this allows me to make necessary changes with the proper product instead of me trying to use wrong product work and probably have issues later on. Maybe use both test plug and drain extender?. Thank you again