New to Forum! Seeking advice on adding bathroom to my house..

Old 02-16-11, 08:54 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question New to Forum! Seeking advice on adding bathroom to my house..

I would like an idea of where to start planning the addition of a second bathroom to my house. I know I will have to call a plumber at some point....

- enclosed, unfinished car port, unlevel slab exposed
- plumbing for washer and kitchen are in slab to side of carport

Should I call a plumber or 3 to get estimates for what it would cost to add toilet, sink and tub? Or is there a possibility I could do some of this myself? All I know about plumbing is that you don't do it at night, on Sundays or anytime when you'll need to call someone for help and it is outside of normal business hours!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-11, 09:32 AM
No replies? Hmmm...

Here is what is on my mind:

Step 1? - build subfloor with appropriate vapor barrier, 2x4 supports and plywood
Step 2? - frame and place walls to divide space
Step 3? - buy fixtures and CAREFULLY draft pipe placement plan
Step 4? - tie in to existing main lines by removing subfloor and renting professional concrete saw?

This is a room that we don't use so I realize it will take a while and precision is required...but can I potentially do this myself? Who do I call for permits? Who do I call for inspections? Do I do the subfloor first or cut clab first?

Any ideas if this is more trouble than it is worth? Any estimates on what it would cost to have someone tie in the new lines through the slab? If I do the rest?

Old 02-16-11, 09:46 AM
Also, this room would be close to the main water line (city water) and the waste pipe to sewers....

Old 02-16-11, 10:15 AM
Group Moderator
Received 40 Votes on 37 Posts
Welcome to the forums

You only post a little more than a half hour before your question about no replies, please be more patient, the people whose opinion you want are probably on a job site and haven't had a chance to read your questions yet

Old 02-16-11, 10:54 AM
mitch - didn't mean it like that. Trying to make sure I gave enough info.

Old 02-16-11, 02:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
First thing to do is put what you dream of on paper. Draw it off to scale on grid paper. That way you can make adjustments to size, location of fixtures. You will need to present this to your building authority for their approval prior to obtaining permits for the job. Make sure any addition you make does not interfere with setbacks on your property. Check your roof line to make sure you won't be having too many valleys in the mix when you put on your roofline. Make it simple, but make it large enough to "grow" with you. Be sure to include linen closet, vanities, toilet, tub, shower, either separate or combined. You will need to know whether you want tiled walls, floors, etc. You can buy your fixtures ahead of time and store them, but do it carefully. Nothing worse than spending $300 on a toilet to find it broken when bubba dropped a pipe on it 3 months ago.
This will get you a start, and you will need to enlist the help of a reputable plumber (one that doesn't cut your floor joists to put in toilets ) and an electrician to do your wire work.
Figure how you will tie this into your existing siding effect on the house. I could think of a thousand things, but let's get started first, and go from there.
Yeah, like Mitch said, work does get in the way, sometime. Gotta eat.

Old 02-16-11, 02:18 PM
Thanks, Chandler.

I misrepresented the situation a bit. This remodel will be in existing room. It is in an enclosed carport with the slab currently exposed.

So, I'll try to grid it out for sure! thanks!

Old 02-16-11, 02:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Well that sure takes care of the roof line thingy. Grid it out. The entire garage and the area you want to remodel to a bathroom. You'll need good early input from your plumber as far as excavation of the floor goes so you can get a grip on that cost as well. Tying into your existing plumbing may be a bear. Just keep advised. Let us know how it goes or if we can help further.

Old 02-16-11, 03:12 PM
Thanks! Plumber # 1 giving estimate tomorrow....will report back..