PEX tools are expensive

Old 02-16-11, 11:44 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
PEX tools are expensive

I'm looking to do a pretty straight forward install of hydronic baseboard heaters. I'd prefer to run PEX and would need a dozen tee fittings. I've been trying to price different brands of PEX and fittings but most of them need a tool to connect to the PEX to the fitting and the tool costs more than the rest of the supplies combined - some are $500 - $1200.

Are there any brands that use a more simple (less expensive) tool? I'm keeping sharkbites in the back of my mind but I'd prefer to use PEX-Al-PEX and the OD it too big for sharkbites afaik. I'm open to the idea of barrier PEX if there's a good option for fittings and a tool. I need 1" and 3/4" pipe if that helps.

Alternatively, do places rent these tools?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-11, 12:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 192 Votes on 178 Posts
PEX crimpers can be bought at many home improvement stores for less than $100. What sort of PEX tool costs $1'000?

Old 02-16-11, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
You should look at these kits. They are a very good company from what is said on this site. I borrowed a kit from a friend when I did my bathroom. I used the copper rings. I did not like the cinchers.

And you are probably talking about the expander tool. They run $700. Dont use pex-al-pex and you will not spend alot.

I would go with the Watts.

Watts PEX Crimp Tool , PEX Crimp Tool , PEX Crimper - PexSupply.com

Read this. It descibes the different typs of tools.

PEX Tools & Connections Resources - PexSupply.com

Which tubing is best to use for hydronic heating applications such as baseboard?
For baseboard and other hydronic heating applications you will want to use either oxygen barrier PEX or PEX-AL-PEX tubing (the aluminum core acts an oxygen barrier). In most applications oxygen barrier PEX (such as ThermaPEX or hePEX) will be used. However, PEX-AL-PEX, because of its ability to hold its shape, is often used. Both of these products are able to withstand temperatures up to 200 F. The oxygen barrier will prevent rusting of cast iron components in your system.

What is PEX-AL-PEX Tubing used for?
PEX-AL-PEX tubing is used in some slab applications, Warmboard applications, and in some hydronic heating jobs. The main advantage of using PEX-AL-PEX is its ability to hold its shape when bent or pushed a certain way. This can be great in tight situations such as in the boiler room and for baseboard. However, for in slab and joist applications this tubing can be difficult to work with. PEX-AL-PEX can is great for high temperature systems as well because it has a very low expansion rate of .156" per 100 feet for a 10 temperature rise.

Mike NJ

Old 02-16-11, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by Pilot Dane View Post
PEX crimpers can be bought at many home improvement stores for less than $100. What sort of PEX tool costs $1'000?
I found these press tool sets:
Viega Bronze Press Fittings & Valves , Viega Fitting & Valves , Fitting & Valves , PEX Press Fittings - PexSupply.com
Started set for 1/2 and 3/4 = $399
Complete set for 3/8, 1/2, 5/8, 3/4, and 1" = $1,339
Battery Powered version = $2,305

Here's a mulitpress MLC press fitting manual too:
D6275063 - Uponor (Wirsbo) D6275063 - Multipress MLC Press Fitting Manual Tool Kit
for $530 or the battery operated version for $2,375

That's when my jaw hit the floor.

Old 02-16-11, 01:36 PM
Yeah, it turns out I had been looking at expanders and the veiga system. Crimp or clamp tools are more what I need. Thanks guys.