Recessed faucet aerator

Old 02-19-11, 09:58 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Recessed faucet aerator

My upgraded bathroom sink has a recessed aerator in the faucet tip. Over time, tiny particles of debris (grainy pebbles, sand and general junk from the city water supply) collect in the strainer of the aerator and cause the water to come out erratically and produce a spray on one side of the faucet.

I need to either clean or replace this new-fangled, confounded aerator. But I can't remove it from the faucet tip. It's not like the simple aerators in the other faucets -- it's recessed and screws up inside the faucet tip. Standard aerators are just screwed into the end of the faucet tip and can easily be removed by screwing them out with a pair of pliers.

My plumber said there is a special tool or wrench available to remove those aerators, but of course, he doesn't have one. He said they can be bought at local pipes and supply stores (not "big-box") stores. And I can't find any online.

Is it true that there are specialized wrenches to remove those silly aerators? I don't want to go and ask for one at a plumbing service store and have the clerk think I'm nuts. I suspect my plumber is pulling my leg and that such wrenches rank right up there with sky hooks, etc.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any enlightenment you guys can provide regarding this issue.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-11, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 51 Posts
Looks like they are from China. Never used or saw one until you posted this.

Faucet Aerator Spanner Tool | Cheap Faucet Parts News

What make faucet do you have????

Mike NJ

Old 02-19-11, 04:00 PM
You may have what is called a tamper proof aerator, if so this is what you need.

Old 02-19-11, 09:22 PM
If you can find what brand the faucet is and contact the mfg, they'll probably send you a tool for free.

Free, as long as you don't figure any value for your time. The mfg's must be hurting - they can't even afford to staff their phones. You'll be on hold for 20 minutes (but your call is VERY important to them). A good time for speaker-phone & solitaire.

FWIW, when I install such a faucet, I tuck the tool into the cabinet somewhere. If no cabinet, I give it to the client.

Old 02-20-11, 09:37 AM
N
Thumbs up Cheers!

Originally Posted by shacko View Post
You may have what is called a tamper proof aerator, if so this is what you need.

Yep. That's exactly what I have. And I know what I need.

Many thanks to you, shacko and everyone for responses.