Water and Sewer Lines in a Common Trench

Old 02-20-11, 07:42 AM
W
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water and Sewer Lines in a Common Trench

I have a 1200ft run from the where water meter and sewer shut off valve is along the road. 3/4" Water meter feeding 1 �" PE pipe going back. 1�" force main sewer (1 �" pressure sewer will have 2 residential grinder pumps on it). I made my pitch to the local Service Authority to run these lines in a common trench with 24" of vertical separation between them. This distance is slightly above local and state code. I did not want to dig 2 1300' trenches and cut down a whole bunch of healthy mature trees. All went well and they blessed off on it. Although i am not a plumber, I am familiar with the IRC and had reviewed the codes. I had planned on using 1 �" PE pipe for both the water and the sewer from a local distributor of ENDOT Industries PE pipe. Their products are widely used and dependable all over the place and I assumed that there PE would be certified to the standard required in IRC 2009 Table 3002.2, "Building Sewer Pipe". By IRC, Ref: P2905.4.2, in order to put water and sewer in a common trench, the sewer has to be of approved material in this table. This table lists approved material for sewer pipe INSIDE a dwelling. So the PE pipe that I planned to use needs to conform to ASTM F714 by the table. OK then, wait a minute, I can�t find that rating for the pipe I planned on using. But it is specifically made for pressure sewer line. So I look into the standard and come to find out the ASTM F714 is for PE pipe with a minimum diameter of 3.5�. Since Gravity sewer is what you find inside a dwelling, of course 3 �� the only thing you would put underground. I have to use 1 �� to maintain minimum velocity numbers while the pumps are running. I can�t be the only one to have run into this delema. Is it a shortfall of the code in keeping current with new build materials or am I missing something. I have already talked to the building inspector and he wasn�t getting what I was saying. He referred me to the manufacturer saying if it is sewer pipe than it needs to conform to that standard (F714) in order for me to put it in a common trench. It is not a 3 � � or larger pipe so it cannot possibly meet those standards. Tech guy a spoke with from the manufacturer was shocked at my finding and thinks I found sort of hole in the code��. With 500� rolls and a 200PSI rating, it is a much safer than 20� lengths of pvc over that distance in my opinion.
Anyone have any input or constructive thoughts on the situation, they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Old 02-20-11, 07:47 AM
W
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My number came out funny for some reason. 1 1/2 " , 3 1/2 " respectively

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: