convection hot water loop

Old 02-21-11, 05:31 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
convection hot water loop

i am dealing with an aqua hut and plan to try a convection loop...here is the plan, 1st of all this is a convection loop, not a gravity loop...i will be tying in at the hot water supply at the furtherest fixture i will bring the loop back to the drain port of the w/h where i will be installing a tee and of course the drain...i will insulate all the hot water lines except for the last 15 feet to the foundation wall where ill have to insulate through the wall so that it will not freeze...there will be a back flow preventer near the end of the loop. all 3/4 pex line.....do you think this will work?

Old 02-21-11, 07:17 PM
B
Received 44 Upvotes on 40 Posts
Are you trying to provide heat for some area or just circulate the water to shorten the wait for hot water when needed?

Bud

Old 02-21-11, 07:38 PM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bud9051 View Post
Are you trying to provide heat for some area or just circulate the water to shorten the wait for hot water when needed?

Bud
shorten the wait for hot water at the faucets

Old 02-22-11, 06:07 AM
B
Received 44 Upvotes on 40 Posts
I have a similar stretch for one bathroom and have been considering options. A convective loop requires the loss of heat on the return side as part of the process. IMO, that would be a lot of energy to be using 24/7 for a limited need. One of my thoughts would be a motion sensor and a circulator on the loop. We have one of those motion night lights and it jumps on the moment we enter. Even if I went directly to the hot water, it would still have had a head start. But in most cases we are taking care of other business so within 30 to 45 seconds the hot water would be exactly where we want it. Then when we leave, the circulator would cycle off.

The other option is to install a small on demand heater at the desired location. If the demand requirements are low, supply it with cold water and avoid all pipe length heat loss. If the requirements are high, supply it with the hot water and it will simply have to heat the initial cold surge.

A convection loop can work, but they will be rather slow with less than full hot water when needed. The good part is, the return pipe could easily be converted to the circulator approach.

Hope this helps.
Bud

Old 02-22-11, 11:58 AM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Convection loop or gravity systems have no control, therefore you waste a lot of energy due to heat loss. A recirc pump accomplishes the end result that you are wanting -- no waiting for hot water -- without all of the heat loss, assuming that you use a timer or switch to power it with.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: