"seat sleeve" for leaking faucet

Old 02-22-11, 02:06 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
"seat sleeve" for leaking faucet

I have an old house with 1950's plumbing, including a bathroom sink where the faucets and handles come out from the back wall of the sink, rather than from the top the way modern sinks (and my undermount cast iton kitchen sink) do. The hot water leaks. I have both a seat wrench and two types of grinders, but the seat will not come out.

Several sources, including a "leaky faucet" posting on doityourself.com, refer to a "seat sleeve". I have contacted local plumbing supply companies, none of which have "seat sleeves".

Since they don't seem to make the faucets attached off the sink back wall anymore, it would appear that replacing the faucets will involve replacing the entire sink for one with holes on the top for the plumbing. I don't want to do that.

Does anyone have any idea where I can find "seat sleeves"?

Old 02-22-11, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 78 Upvotes on 70 Posts
I never heard of a seat sleeve but I will look it up. Possibly I could help you.
1. Did you strip the seat opening and is that why you cant get it out>
2. If you did not strip the opening too bad my trick was to insert the seat wrench squarly and tap the seat wrench with a hammer to get it in there very tight. The use the other end of a cresent wrench(the hole for hanging the tool) and slip it on the end of the seat wrench in a way to get more leverage. (I hope you understand this)
3. If all else fails use a small tiny tim hack saw and cut two or three cuts in the seat at 90 degrees. Be careful not to cut too far into the threads. Once you have the cuts get a flat blade screw driver and tap the sections out. Once you get one section out the rest should come out.
4. You should be able to get new seats for that faucet.

Hope this helps and let us know.

Mike NJ

Old 02-22-11, 04:14 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Are you sure you don't have a faucet that has non-removable seats?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: