Plumbing Advice needed

Old 02-24-11, 08:06 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Plumbing Advice needed

I am in the middle of a bathroom remodel and moving some water lines to accomodate a new bathtub is needed. Also need to move sink lines.

I have already done all the dmo and now just need to install all the new stuff..

I want to hire a plumber to re-route the lines and help me set the new tub...

I have gotten 2 quotes so far and they are both about the same $$ but one will pull permits and the other wont.

My main ? is Will getting the permits at this point in the remodel cause me problems/fines with the city for what I have done so far since I have not had any permits for the demo?

Thanks

Old 02-24-11, 08:49 AM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
It depends on what you've done so far, and what your local jurisdiction requires a permit for.

Have you moved any bearing walls? Any electrical work so far?

If you haven't done anything so far that requires a permit, you're fine.

Old 02-24-11, 08:58 AM
G
Thanks for the reply.. I have not moved any walls. just basically taken most of the room down to the studs and now in process of installing tub where it needs to be. I did also have to jackhammer some of my slab to move my tub drain over about a foot to fit the new tub. Not sure if that required a permit or not.

Old 02-24-11, 10:41 AM
G
I would strongly suggest that you go with the guy that's going to pull a permit. From what you are describing it sounds like some of his work is going to embedded in concrete when he is finished. I'd sure hate to hire the guy that doesn't want to pull a permit and then find out a few months after the job is done that the drains don't work propperly.

Pulling permits and getting inspections can be a bit of a pain, but it does provide you some protection from a contractor that doesn't do the work correctly.

Old 02-24-11, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator
Received 78 Upvotes on 70 Posts
As a plumber I would not typicall pull a permit. But a permit is actually for your protection to make sure the plumber installs all pipeing, electrical, ect to code. Even though you are not moving it far there are thing like leak test, proper underground joints, electrical..ect.

As others stated you would not want to put tub and fill slab to find out a wrong fitting was used and know have a slab leak. Or move copper and not leak test, then later need to tear wall open to repair. Venting, scald protection.....ect. Light switch too close to tub, GFI protection....ect. Fan in bath is code, unless you have a window but its good to have. I have windows and did not put fans in. What a mistake.....

Lots of stuff. Go with the permit guy.

Mike NJ

Old 02-24-11, 03:09 PM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I too would make sure that there was a permit in place for the remodel. If a contractor is involved, he's responsible for pulling a permit that covers his portion of the work. But since there are other things, like the sheetrock, you, as the homeowner, can pull one permit that will cover everything. That will save you paying some duplicate fees. Yes, the inspections can be a bit of a hassle at times -- can't go any farther until this much is inspected -- but that's minor.

If the house is ever sold, either by you or by your heirs, having work that was done w/o a permit is going to be a BIG hassle.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: