Pex? Crimp or Clamp?

Old 03-04-11, 06:52 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pex? Crimp or Clamp?

I am prepping for an almost complete plumbing job in my house over the summer, or possibly a little longer. Currently I have 1/2" copper pipe for my domestic water everywhere and it isn't pretty. Over the years before my wife and I purchased the house things have added, removed and repaired. I am installing a new boiler, and a kitchen and bathroom remodel also. I figured for the amount of plumbing work I will be doing I will just by the tools needed. I have found the tools for both the copper crimp rings, and the stainless cinch clamps, but I want to know which one is better, or the pros/cons of either. I know the cinch clamp tool works for the sizes of pex I will be using, the crimp tool I found has inserts for 3/8 thru 1".

Old 03-04-11, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 78 Upvotes on 70 Posts
The expander method is the best. Tool is big $$$$

The other two are the same really. I like the crimp rings and renovated my home with them. I feel more secure on whats behind the walls. I have crimped on many other homes and it gets tiresome crimping rings all day. Did a full 3 bath, in the wall with diverter repipe in one day and had two leaks after we filled the system. You need to crimp square on the ring and leave 1/8" of pipe showing above the ring. But once you squeeze the handles together, thats it!!!! Crimp and done..

The cinch I just feel are unreliable from call backs from other plumbing jobs are company went on. I dont know if its the racheting tool for the cinchers or the plumber. Its not a one cinch and your done. It rachets.....

Mike NJ

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: