Backflow Device Failure

Old 03-08-11, 12:01 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Backflow Device Failure

I have a Watts 007M3QT backflow preventer device (3/4") on a small commercial office building water line. It was installed new in 2008 by a local plumber. Each year I must pay to have this device tested. I just was informed by the tester that the device "failed"this year.

My questions are these:

is this normal for a three year old valve that costs a couple of hundred dollars go bad in three years?

is there something I should be looking for as a culprit?

Any thoughts on purchasing one of those rebuild kits with o rings and rubber seals?

thanks in advance

Ed

Old 03-08-11, 04:28 PM
Most backflows have repair kits for them, but you have to keep in mind if they are rebuilt they have to be retested

Old 03-08-11, 09:32 PM
S
Ask the tester why it failed. Chances are some rust or sediment fouled one of the checks. Entirely possible in 3 years. You cant buy rebuild parts over the counter at a hardware store. They are a specialty item and I have to order them and have them shipped. They are not terribly expensive and best to have the tester install them. The Watts have an internal cartridge assy. and its easy to pinch an O ring on reassembly.

Old 03-09-11, 09:31 PM
thanks for the follow-ups. I am trying to find out why the device failed and if the tester tried to clean it or just ran the tests.

Ed

Old 03-10-11, 08:49 AM
S
Forgot to mention, if the relief valve didnt open, it is a simple task to take the cover off, clean, lube, reassemble and firnish the test. Takes less than 10 minutes. Should be a courtesy part of the test. Unless tester works for the water purveyor. Then you have to get it repaired and contact them for a retest. Watts check assembies have 2 potential failure points, the check seat itself can get fouled with rust and the O ring around the cartrige can leak. Best to order the parts, replace them and be done with it

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: