Running the sink fills my toilet

Old 03-08-11, 08:09 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Running the sink fills my toilet

I am having a huge problem. I don't even know where to begin. First off, my toilet won't flush... I have NO idea why.. I've repaired some drains, ran a auger through it, even dug up the main drainage lines running to my cesspool. (Yes... It's a cesspool... It's an old house..) Everything in my house connects to that main drainage line, so no matter WHAT I use, the sinks, the shower, the toilets, none of the water (or anything else) will drain into my cesspool.... I have no idea why, or what it is... I've used the auger on it everywhere, and it CAN'T be clogged........ I read online that there could be a problem with my air vents so I tried seeing if that was the problem.. I figured that if I removed the drain pipe under the sink it would act as a temporary air vent to see if that was the issue because I really don't want to fall off of my roof trying to get to it... I don't understand the vent system at all.... Why wouldn't the shower be kind of like an air vent then???? Because it all just connects together anyways...... Oh, I did have a break in the main drainage line that I fixed... I was so happy because i thought it was the problem, but today the toilet is refilling again and nothings draining...I have just had my cesspool cleaned out a few weeks ago thinking that was the problem, but it wasn't.... Times are tough and money is tight so... I can't call a plumber right now.. Any help would be greatly appreciated, sorry for the long post, thanks for getting to the end. If you have any questions I will answer as best as i am able to.

Old 03-08-11, 09:19 PM
S
Your sewer is clogged. It is not a vent problem. I dont know if you have a cleanout or other access to your sewer other than the repair you made. The clog may be related to the break / repair in that you didnt make sure the line was clear before making the repair. How hard would it be to undo the repair, and shove a running garden hose back up the line toward the house and see if you can unclog it?

Old 03-08-11, 10:00 PM
Oh, I did have a break in the main drainage line that I fixed
I think SSK1100 is right. Is you drainage repair after all feeds have gone to the waist line? What is the line to the septic tank made out of? I think you should disconnect that repair.....I hope you have a wet suit.

The following happened to me. I had the same problem, nothing was going down, waste was coming out the first floor kitchen sink. I dug a hole in the back yard to expose the sewer pipe which had been repaired prior. Pipe was 4 feet below grade, so the hole was rather large. I disconnected the 5" sewer pipe, and tried to jump out of the hole.....but it was to high....I fell back in, right in the path of the high pressure fire hose of fecal mater, toilet paper and used feminine hygiene products. AHHHHHHHHHHH
True story

Old 03-08-11, 10:37 PM
N
It was just a hair line fracture in the line I replaced 10 ft of pipe just in case. My sink is connected to a 2 inch pipe which connects to the vent which connects to the shower which then connects to the main 3 inch pipe from the side right above the toilet which it "in a perfect world" all goes down 3 feet makes a right and the a straight shot into the cesspool. It could not be any easier and here I am for 2 weeks now And the water will not go down Could there be a pocket of air trapped between the cesspool and the wall of water? The cleaning guys just sucked it out a couple weeks ago there was a clog at the very end of the line after he left which I unclogged because I could hear water going into the cesspool so it had to be unclogged. My hypothesis is that once the water in the cesspool covers the pipe leading into the cesspool it quits working. I lived here for 20 years and never had this problem before it has always been toilet not going down call to get it sucked water goes down I cane get back to reading the newspaper. Thanks you for your time any help would be appreciated

Old 03-10-11, 06:49 PM
S
If youve been 20 years on a septic tank and never had a clogged sewer, you have been lucky. It is not a vent problem. Unvented drains will vent off of their traps. Hence the gurgling sound from the trap of an unvented line and the reason for vents: to prevent traps from getting sucked down and breaking the vapor barrier.
What is the elevation difference between the top of the pit and the floor the toilet sits on? Is the top of the pit buried?
If the pit overflowed, would the water surface? What Im getting at is, if you know that the waste is not getting into the pit,your sewer is clogged. Too bad you didnt add a cleanout to the line when you had it dug up.

Old 03-10-11, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 78 Upvotes on 70 Posts
My hypothesis is that once the water in the cesspool covers the pipe leading into the cesspool it quits working.
You said it!!! Is this whats happining???? Then of course your line if full of water if the cesspool is above the inlet. When you have the cesspool drained does your plumbing work then?

Possibly the cesspool is shot then only last 12-15 years.

Look at your water bill. Are you consuming more water? There may be a plumbing leak. Are there more people living at the house? Is there more rain? If its filling more often. Running toilets can do this.

You can try and add chemicals to try to restore the cesspool.

Typically, unless the cesspool is in brackish water, caustic soda will help. This is industrial strength "Draino". The dose is 100 pounds per 2,000 gallons so the usual dose is 200 pounds. You will have to pump out the sludge first. You want the caustic to open up the walls and floor of the cesspool so seepage will occur again. If the sludge in the cesspool absorbs all the caustic, there is no active chemical to work on the walls. Grease and soap scum from washing pots and pans floats on the surface and coats the walls. The grease acts like a ceramic cup and holds the water. The caustic helps break down the grease. Caustic decreases in efficiency when used more than once every two years

Individuals each use 100-200 gallons of water per day. If four people live in the house and four hundred gallons go in the cesspool per day, and assuming there is no drainage, it would only take eight days (400 X 8= 3,200) to replace the water our 3,200 gallon tanker removes. Again, chemical treatment is called for to increase seepage rate. Look for plumbing leaks.

Mike NJ

Old 03-10-11, 10:56 PM
N
Hello everyone thanks for all the tips and suggestions. Here is my story the very first time I thought I had a clog I used a snake and it went down and just in case I went further down the pipe and hit something I spun it hit it a couple of time and thought that I must of hit the side of the cesspool, the water disappeared from the inside of the house I thought I heard it go in to the cesspool and all was well with the world. So I thought it could not be another clog.... Than ssk1100 said it had to be a clog so I went out and bought one of those flat snake things that had a ball and a point at the end and went to work I fed it to where I thought was the side of the cesspool at first a hit it a couple of times.... nothing...hit it harder and pushed a little harder... nothing than I got mad I started to ram it really hard... as hard as I could over and over again harder and harder I knew something was going to give either me, the clog, the floor, the whole pipe line shooting into the cesspool, but I knew something was going to give, then nearly exhausted I gave it one final ram, jumping into the air and came crashing down onto the whatever was there...... then i heard it like a choirs of angels, the sucking of water going down the pipe . There I stood sweat pouring down my cheek....It was either sweat or tears one or the other. So just in case I poured 5 gallons of water down it and it went down So I hurried and put back on toilet flushed it once...it went down...twice...it went down perfectly I was like a kid in a candy store I kept flushing an it kept going down at least 6 time or so. As of now all is right in the bathroom world. Thanks everyone for everything if something else happens I know where to turn Now if you would excuse me I got newspapers to catch up on

P.S. Unclogging the toilet did not happen exactly like that

Old 03-11-11, 09:14 AM
S
Good job. "A choir of angels", thats great. For future reference, water over the inlet pipe wont prevent water from getting into the pit. Water will rise in the tank and if the tank lid is exposed it will keep riseing until it overflows, presumably in your yard. That is, if there is some reason the tank isnt draining.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: