Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Plumbing, Piping, Water Heating, Wells, Air & Water Filtration and Conditioning > Plumbing and Piping
Reload this Page >

ok.. both of my washing machine hose bibs broke off at the threads.. wth ??

Old 03-09-11, 07:11 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

Hi all,
Had a bit of a leak from one of my washing machine hose bibs (about 4ft x 18" drywall removal.. nice..).
When I went to turn the hose off of the bib, the entire bib snapped off at the female fitting at the wall.. I only just started to turn, hardly any pressure applied. Well, ok.. found the leak point I guess. Used an inside pipe wrench to remove the stub of threaded pipe stuck inside the line..
Tonite I went to remove the other valve to change it also (just in case). With a small amount of pressure (certainly wasnt cranking on it)... SNAP. It also broke off in the same place (flush with the end of the female adapter at the wall).

These 2 gate valves were 2 different brands.. not even shaped the same.. so I dont suspect defect.
My 2 current ideas are;
a) I do have a water softener, and it was defective for a while a coupla years back. Ive heard that excessive soft water can eat away plumbing ?? Is my house a time bomb now ? lol
b) I had built up a 'plug' of Duct-Seal around both fittings (right where they broke actually) to stop cold air from getting in about 10 years ago. Could Duct Seal react with the brass fittings ??

Old 03-09-11, 07:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
What are your pipes made of? Iron or copper? Since you have it down this far, I would install a single lever washing machine control box.

Old 03-09-11, 10:34 PM
D
The supply pipes are copper, soldered to a brass (I assume ?) fitting there with the female threads that fit the hosebib.
I did some more googling about the ductseal and plumbing etc.. I keep finding mentiopns that ductseal is not corrosive to metals..

Old 03-10-11, 04:48 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
It is odd to find the bibs to break like that, but unless you installed them and picked out the very best, they are construction grade, and probably not gold plated. Ductseal won't harm the pipes. If you can reconfigure the copper and go with the single handle, you will be happier in the long run. It will allow you to turn off the washer after use with one valve, both hot and cold.

Old 03-10-11, 04:33 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Agree with (chandler) about a single lever valve, most manufactors want you to turn off the water when the machine is not in use, this makes it easier.

Old 03-11-11, 06:03 PM
D
I had already bought 2 small handled globe valves (made in canada.. we still make something here ?) and installed them (wife wanted to keep on the laundry).
Ill keep that in mind for future builds or recommends.

I brought one of the broken bibs to a local supply house.. the guy suspects bad ph. Im gonna get a kit and check what it is pre/post my softener.

My mech bud has a good inside micrometer.. is there a standard inside diameter for a male pipe thread ?
Looking at how much meat is left from the inside surface to the bottoms of the threads.. it isnt much..

Old 03-13-11, 01:50 PM
S
If anyone is interested, my Watts single handle washing machine supply valve started leaking after about 11 years, and it's in a wall box, so I bought a new one. I really didn't really feel like unsoldering the old one, I looked over both units, and I hoped that I could take both units apart and put the new valve section on the old unit's sweat adapters, and I could di just that, and it saved me a lot of work. I'm thinking about buying another unit for the future, in case they change the thing.
Sid

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: